WTB 1965 replacement gauges

CtCarGuy

CtCarGuy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Per my past posts, I replaced the speedometer in my 65. While trying to put the gauge pods in, my worst fear happened, the pointer on the oil pressure gauge broke and the other pointers are messed up. Cannot seem to get the pods installed without the light bulb sockets coming off. Anyone know where to get replacement gauges? I don't see them in any catalogs. The alternatives are 1) send them out to be fixed, or 2) replace them with aftermarket round gauges in the pods. What a mess!
IMG_4213.JPGIMG_4214.JPGIMG_4215.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Ct,
How did you solve your gauges mess?
I didn't think they were that hard to remove/replace. I was planning to pull my dash and gauges cluster this winter, but now am a bit concerned.
nieuwr

I have a 1965 gadget pod if you are interested. Ron Fox

did you solve the gauge issue ?

Per my past posts, I replaced the speedometer in my 65. While trying to put the gauge pods in, my worst fear happened, the pointer on the oil pressure gauge broke and the other pointers are messed up. Cannot seem to get the pods installed without the light bulb sockets coming off. Anyone know where to get replacement gauges? I don't see them in any catalogs. The alternatives are 1) send them out to be fixed, or 2) replace them with aftermarket round gauges in the pods. What a mess!
View attachment 28407View attachment 28408View attachment 28409
If you are very careful, you can straighten the bent points using two very small needle nose pliers. Start at the top and work your way down. I was able to straighten all of the gages on my 65, and they work just fine now. On the oil gage, I would suggest fabricating a new one out of aluminum (light weight) and gluing it on with Super Glue. It comes in a version that is more like honey. I wouldn't use the standard stuff as it flows too much. You can buy needle gage paint on line-I repainted the needles on my 1939 Packard and it works quite well. Good luck!

If you are very careful, you can straighten the bent points using two very small needle nose pliers. Start at the top and work your way down. I was able to straighten all of the gages on my 65, and they work just fine now. On the oil gage, I would suggest fabricating a new one out of aluminum (light weight) and gluing it on with Super Glue. It comes in a version that is more like honey. I wouldn't use the standard stuff as it flows too much. You can buy needle gage paint on line-I repainted the needles on my 1939 Packard and it works quite well. Good luck!
Here's one site selling the needle paint. https://www.hipoparts.com/fluorescent-speedo-gauge-needle-restoration-paint/

Back