Wiring issue or fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
C
Last seen
I have a 2002 T Bird with 26,000 miles. Last year it wouldn't start while at the dealer getting an oil change. They found a blown fuel pump fuse. It happened twice since then - I replaced the fuse and all was OK. Now the car won't start at all and the fuse is OK. I am guessing the fuel pump finally went? or is there another issue? Would like to hear from any folks with similar experience before I go to the dealer and get soaked.

chipster

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Chip:
Could be one of many things:
I believe the tank is a saddle type where fuel has to get from one side to the other and then to engine.
Some have had issues if the gas cap is not on correctly (Tight)
I believe some have had fuel pumps replaced
There are multiple sensors related to the fuel system. Did a code come up ion the dash panel. There are a whole series of codes that if one appeared we may be able to help
There are fuel sensor circuits and secondary circuits in the electronics
Also - fuel tank pressure circuit, fuel pump driver module, fuel pump control module.

BTW; Coils are always a suspect. They may need to be tested to see if one or two are bad.

Chip; More info I'm finding for you:
One guy says:
There were reports of problems with some 2002 Birds having problems similar to this. The gas tank is a saddle tank that straddles the drive shaft tunnel and there are 2 fuel pumps, one for each side.
Another:
Something I learned. The electric fuel pumps that Ford uses are located in the fuel tanks and are partially kept cool by being submerged in gasoline. Keep your tank partially filled at all times because when you run low on gasoline your fuel pump is running hotter than when it is totally submerged. The gas gauge is part of the fuel pump and if it doesn't work, you have to replace the fuel pump to get a new gas gauge. But if you fill the tank up,say
evry 150 miles or so, your fuel pump is happy.
Last one:
A former service advisor says - low fuel in the tank could cause a pump to burn out as the 2nd pump relies on the fuel to keep it cool.

Chip, this is the last part of my research for you:
From a, ex-service advisor:
If your dealer was able to verify your concern and unable to correct all they have to do is call Ford's "Tech Hotline" and they may have the answer.
If not ask if they have a "Flight Recorder" (small computer with a button you push to capture events) that they can put in your car and let you dive it and capture the events in real time. heck if they can find then they can send a copy to the Hotline and the Engr's can review. I checked Oasis and there is no TSB or SSm's at this time for this problem.
Another says:
The pump control module monitors the fuel pressure and sends signals to the pumps that results in maintaining the required amount of pressure to the injectors. I believe it is 38 lbs.
Another:
I've had my T-Bird about seven months now, the first month...gas sensor went out, burnt up fuel pumps, stranded wife....dealer fixed.
Same guy:
The dealer called said the fuel pump had gone out again! In just 4 mths. I asked why, "Well human made parts..blah blah blah..." so I asked for the service manager, who was nice, he said he would call Ford to inquire what to check other things/causes...I just dont know...two times the fuel pumps gone out in four mths...
And he finally got:
The Service Manager called me back said thay had done performance/voltage etc. tests on the car, all is well, ford said the problem simply is the fuel pump and yes, its on warranty.

Hope these help and keep us posted

No start condition

This is a bit out of context but for ppl who experience crank no start conditions on a 2005 thunderbird check your fuses on the passengers side fuse box, it contains 1 very important fuse that controls fuel to the engine. If this fuse blows it will appear that the fuel pump is bad. Even if you pull the main fuel line from the injector rail, no fuel will pump out of the fuel line, no hum sound at key on, appearing that the fuel pump is dead. Also if this fuse blows an ODB scanner will not communicate with the main computer. This car has 4 computers and they communicate to one another. This car is not like your ford truck so diagnosis for this car isn't the same as a simple vehicle. And just to clear up some confusion about a saddle type fuel tank, this vehicle only has 1 internal fuel pump and a exterior fuel sending sensor.:eek:

Expoded view 05 Thunderbird

2005_thunderbird.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back