Wind Baffle

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only down side I found with the baffle on my Mustang was fingerprints when putting it on. Unlike the T-Bird, I take mine on and off as the back seat is out of bounds with it in place. I've taken to using a pair of cotton work gloves when putting it on as I spent 10 minutes getting the greasy fingerprints off it after originally putting it on.

To ditto what was said, the folks at Wind Baffle were great. I got the winter package, which includes the mentioned additional panel, but when it came the panel wasn't included. One quick call and 2 days later I had it.

A case would be nice...something like what comes with t-tops or removable glass sunroofs. For now mine is wrapped in the bubble wrap, in the box, in the garage!

FDIII

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I guess I am just one of those who doesn't understand why people want a car with no top, but want it to act like a car with a top.

Like people who drive with the top down and side windows rolled up. UGGH.

Just don't get it. Maybe it's me.

I mean what ever happened to wind in your face?

Has anyone had a problem ordering the wind baffle on the Internet? I have placed an order twice, kept the printed confirmations and still can't seem to get one. No on-site connections to check an order. Seems kind of sloppy.

I ordered my wind baffle by phone. Called
at noon time on Monday, it arrived Tues.
afternoon. Very fast service!

------------------
Lucille
-----------
'87 TurboCoupe
'02 Blue#114987
'96 Bronco
'98 Windstar Van
'95 Miata M Edition
'95 Miata Red/Tan

Another reason for the WindBaffle is extending the top down season. Using the baffle on my Mustang I was able to drive in 50 degree spring weather with the top down. Without the baffle it was top up only.

Also, wind in your face is one thing, but while dring 70 mph on an extended trip, having a way to cut down on some of the noise and draft is a wonderful thing.

Just returned from my first road trip in the 'bird...up and down the California coast from Santa Barbara to Monterey. Spectacular drive!
I purchased a Windbaffle just before the trip after reading the posts on this thread. Here is my review:
1. I sent in an order from their non-secure website (with my credit card number) The order was apparently never recieved. (Where did it go?) I also sent a confirmation email, which was answered by a phone call asking if I'd like to place an order. I then placed an order (again) by phone. Shipping was $20 in addition to the $150 cost. The Windbaffle folks were nice and shipping was prompt.
2. Installation and removal was easy. Soft top goes up with it installed. Fits in trunk but as has been said, has no storage case and scratches & fingerprints easily.
3. At highway speeds with the Windbaffle installed I did not initially notice a decrease in wind flow, but DID notice an increase in wind noise and an oscillation of the unit, as it is only attached with two velcro straps to the headrests. The only time I observed a drop in flow and noise was with both side windows up and the 'hole' between the seats at the rear shelf blocked off (I used a beach towel. I'm not sure the optional $50 'cold weather panel' would sufficiently seal this gap) With this configuration, I could easily talk to my passenger or listen to the stereo at normal volume.
4. Most of the comments by onlookers during the trip were the normal oohs & aahs about the car, but I overheard one gent say that the Windbaffle looked 'tacky' on such a nice car. He was right.
5. Overall, I would gladly pay $170 for a thicker piece of lexan, perhaps with a metal frame and storage case, with a sturdier attachment method. (Are you listening Jeff Poole?) The current configuration should cost about $40.
6. I did not drive with the Windbaffle in place all the time, but only during sustained highway speeds. The rest of the trip I enjoyed the pure feeling of the convertible. The preceeding is simply one man's experience. Questions and comments are encouraged, so that we may all learn from each other as we experiment with various accessories for our beautiful Thunderbirds.

Thanks for the review. That pretty well settles it for me. I'll be saving $170. It really doesn't look like something that should be that hard to have the local glass shop cut for you.

Paul
4 Red FORDs

I decided to build a wind baffle using a 16" x 41" sheet of plexiglass and an additional 12"x12" sheet to fill the gap between the seets and two velcro straps.

The total cost of my project to date is 33$us

I hope to have the ting ready soon and tested.

I will keep you posted.

I did it and it works!!!

Materials list

One sheet of lexan 3/8" thick
Dimentions required 41" x 16"
Additional sheet of 12"x12" if you wish to cover the hole between the seats below the wind baffle.
2 Velcro straps (in stretch material with a plastic loop on it) I used 27"x1" straps made by Velcro USA (band name VelStretch) they come in packs of 2!

Required tools
Elecric drill with a 3/8# drill bit
Flat or orbital sander with 220 grit paper
Jig Saw with a blade to cut plastic
A metal file (fine grit)

Steps to make the wind baffle.

Buy your plastic stock pre-cut and leave the protective film on until you are finished all cutting, drilling and sanding.

1. Round off all 4 corners

I used a rectangular tupperware container with rounded corners to trace the rounded line evenly on all 4 corners.

2. Use the jig saw to cut sharp corners down to rounded corners

3. Sand all edges down, be sure not to have any sharp edges!

4. Identify the top of the wind baffle and mesure down 4 1/2" from the top and 7" from the side for the first strap hole.

5. The strap hole must be 1" wide so from the 7" mark on the side identify the end of the srap hole 1" further.

NOTE!!! Be sure that both srap hole marks are even.

6. Repeat the same operation at the other end of the top of the baffle for the passenger side top strap hole.

7. For the bottom hole of the strap, mesure 5" from the top strap hole of 9 1/2" from the top of the baffle.

NOTE!!!! Be sure to align the marks with the top srap hole marks

8. The bottom strap hole will also be 7" from the side and 1" wide.

9. Repeat the operation for the passenger side bottom strap hole.

10. Drill the lexan at each end of the strap holes, drill start and end of hole.

11. Repeat drilling operation on each of the 4 strap hole marks.

12. Use the jig saw to cut lexan between drilled holes.

NOTE!!! Do not take more material out than 3/8" x 1"

13. Sand down the strap holes to make them smooth and remove any sharp edges using the metal file.

14. Insert the velcro straps starting from the top and what will be the inside to the bottom outside looping the strap back in. Be sure to have the bucke of the velcro strap at the top.

15. Clean off all shavings and sanding residue and remove the plastic protection film from both sides of the lexan.

16. You are now ready to install and adjust your home made wind baffle!!!

For the 12"x12" addon part, cut, round and sand all 4 corners. This part can rest between the seats and the baffle and will block off most of the air returning behind the top wind baffle.

TOTAL COST OF THE PROJECT..... 46$cdn or 30$us.

I tested the baffle on the road, and the comments I have to make are about the same as the ones I have seen posted.

1. Works best with windows up
2. Some wind noise coming from the top of the baffle.
3. With windows down you still get some windage coming into the compartment
4. Without the bottom plate between the seats you get alot of drafting entering from between the seats.
5. Easy to install
6. Soft top can come up and down with little or no rub.
7. Little visibility reduction although I did notice some glare when looking in the rear view mirror.
8. It fits the trunk as the width clearance is 41"

Now I need to get the sewing machine out and make a pouch for this thing as it will be easily scratched if left on its own in the trunk.

I have costed the pouch material in a durable cotton, with a velcro lip at about 10$cdn or 6$Uus.

Total labor for this project 1hour. About 1hour will be required for the pouch as I am not very skilled with the sewing machine.

Good luck, if you have questions, dond hesitate and email me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back