Will 1957 Lancer hubcaps fit at 1955?

photoguy

photoguy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi everyone,

I like my stock hubcaps, but looking for something a littler sportier. Really like the 57' Lancer hubcaps, I can purchase a new reproduction set. Just curious, if anyone has an opinion on fitment. Seems they are standard fitment 15", and should work? This is a quick Photoshop job.

Thanks!

57-Lancerforum.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 9.30.24 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi everyone,

I like my stock hubcaps, but looking for something a littler sportier. Really like the 57' Lancer hubcaps, I can purchase a new reproduction set. Just curious, if anyone has an opinion on fitment. Seems they are standard fitment 15", and should work? This is a quick Photoshop job.

Thanks!

View attachment 27507
Actually I think that is really sharp. Not familiar with the make or model of what you reference but I think that really works. Better than the cast wheels some use. and this is coming from a guy who likes to keep it as original as possible. Just an easy Resto mod look while not altering anything.
If they have the friction fingers of the original wheel covers you may be good.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really like them too. They originally came with the 1957 Dodge (my understanding). Did a little more photoshop, to clean up, looks even better.

I'm going to order a set, spoke with the retailer today, he believes they'll fit fine (hope so).

Thank you!

I think they look great, worth a try.

Since they're for 15 inch wheels that should be the same.
The other part of the question... is there enough clearance from the back side of the Lancer wheel cover to the wheel bearing dust cap on the '55 Bird. ?
Not all wheels have the same offset. They may be similar but not the same.

The lip of the rims where the balancing weights fit on will still show, as in the photo of the red & white Dodge.

Attachments

• Back Spacing offset.jpg
    Back Spacing offset.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Since they're for 15 inch wheels that should be the same.
The other part of the question... is there enough clearance from the back side of the Lancer wheel cover to the wheel bearing dust cap on the '55 Bird. ?
Not all wheels have the same offset. They may be similar but not the same.

The lip of the rims where the balancing weights fit on will still show, as in the photo of the red & white Dodge.
This is excellent information, think I'll do some more research based on your input. This really helps. I haven't had a car with hubcaps since the 80's, lol! I know all about offset, but for reason, didn't think it applied for wheel covers.

This is my first classic, I do most the service on my other cars, 1955 is a learning curve (drum brakes, carburetor, etc.)

Thank you a ton!

Last edited:
This is excellent information, think I'll do some more research based on your input. This really helps. I haven't had a car with hubcaps since the 80's, lol! I know all about offset, but for reason, didn't think it applied for wheel covers.

This is my first classic, I do most the service on my other cars, 1955 is a learning curve (drum brakes, carburetor, etc.)

Thank you a ton!
If you have a chance, have the wheel weights moved to the inside. I worked for a Goodyear store for a while and when on the balancing machine it's easier to clamp them on the outside. Then paint the exposed lip body color.

If you have a chance, have the wheel weights moved to the inside. I worked for a Goodyear store for a while and when on the balancing machine it's easier to clamp them on the outside. Then paint the exposed lip body color.
This is good timing, about to order new tires, it’s time to let the bias go, switching to radials.

Thank you much!

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

View attachment 27507
View attachment 27510
I believe 57 authentic caps were 14".

Well, my caps arrived, I really love the look! Had to slightly bend small amount of tabs, fit is nice & tight. Well worth $250?

Diameter is a little smaller, so shows some wheel. I started sanding the wheels to paint black, and was liking the distressed look that was happening. So leaving that look for now, really dig it.

Picking up some valve stem extensions today.

Thanks!
IMG_0526.jpeg

Well, my caps arrived, I really love the look! Had to slightly bend small amount of tabs, fit is nice & tight. Well worth $250?

Diameter is a little smaller, so shows some wheel. I started sanding the wheels to paint black, and was liking the distressed look that was happening. So leaving that look for now, really dig it.

Picking up some valve stem extensions today.

Thanks!
View attachment 27566
Actually the wheels are usually body color. I wonder if that would make the wheel covers pop even more kinda like the old school red walls. They DO look good.

Back