Where is best place to sell new T-Bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin just won a new 2002 red T-Bird in a drawing on Christmas eve. Although he loves the car (the look, it still reads 0 miles on the odometer) he realizes that he is better off selling the vehicle. Any suggestions as to best way to sell would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Andy C:
My cousin just won a new 2002 red T-Bird in a drawing on Christmas eve. Although he loves the car (the look, it still reads 0 miles on the odometer) he realizes that he is better off selling the vehicle. Any suggestions as to best way to sell would be appreciated.

It has been my experience in the past that the dealership that has the winning car will often offer to purchase it. If you tried to sell it, it would be pre-titled, and I don't care what anyone says, it will be harder to sell. Let us know what happens.

Otherwise sell it on eBAY.

TBird

Thanks for your input. Technically he will not take title until next week. Trying to arrange a deal before hand to avoid retitling. Dealers so far have made 2 lowball offers that were below their own cost!

Originally posted by Andy C:
Thanks for your input. Technically he will not take title until next week. Trying to arrange a deal before hand to avoid retitling. Dealers so far have made 2 lowball offers that were below their own cost!

I.M.O. you should be able to sell for between invoice and MSRP a 3,000 difference. The car will not be easy to sell used. Take the easy route, but if you are a gambler try to sell it and pay the taxes!

Tbird

5birds,
that's exactly what's happening in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, too. I don't think anybody is having a hard time selling a 2002 Thunderbird at MSRP, even when titled.

It's still a seller's market for this car, not a buyer's market.

titled or not makes no difference whatsoever! i'm a car dealer and watch 3 or 4 of these go through auctions every week, and anywhere from $42,000 to $48,000

Originally posted by 5Birds:
thenewtbird2
You are exactly right. I talked with a Ford dealer in Texas , that is buying all the used ones he can for up to $46,000 and reselling them for $49,000 (plus he pays shipping). Anybody have a used one they want to sell, I'll buy for MSRP and then resell to dealer in Texas and make about $6000.

Spoke with my cousin last evening. He said that he would love to find a dealer willing to pay $46,000 for his car and avoid going through E-bay and other channels. He would reward anybody who could successfully direct him to a buyer with $200 on a completed transaction. He would split any proceeds 50/50 over and above $46,000. At this point he doesn't know the VIN because it never occurred to him that he needed to know it.

Originally posted by 5Birds:
Things must be different in Tennessee than in South Carolina. Dealers are buying used ones at the auction for $46,000 to $47,500 and reselling them for $49,000.

He is not a dealer and cannot go to the auction to easily get rid of the car, and the dealer knows it.

TBird

I don't know where you get your info on T-Bird prices. But I am retailing the Birds for $45,900 today! I would like the names of these dealers so I can WHOLSALE them the T-Birds we have for $46,000-47,000.

There seems to be a great disparity in reported availability and prices in different parts of the country. Cars listed by dealers in the 'sunbelt' states seem to be commanding a $5-10K premium, but mrviper is ready to deal at MSRP and posters to the Edmund's Town Hall T-bird thread seem to think there is an abundance of cars available under list price. warning - The Edmund's gang is decidedly hostile to the new Thunderbird, so be prepared for a lot of negative comments.

Does it have anything to do with Ford's anti-broker edict? There's usually more price-leveling through network sales.

Originally posted by mrviper:
I don't know where you get your info on T-Bird prices. But I am retailing the Birds for $45,900 today! I would like the names of these dealers so I can WHOLSALE them the T-Birds we have for $46,000-47,000.

If you read the old threads, you will see that a number of people paid MSRP or slightly over, and there are dealers selling them for sticker which means they are making about 3k + holdback.

Tbird

Originally posted by mrviper:
I called my local dealer to check delivery status - been waiting a week now for a car sitting at the railhead 40 miles away - and he mentioned that could never match the deal I got on my drop ship order from NJ, ~$2K over MSRP. He said that all 8 of his dealership's T-birds were marked up for $10K over. They're sold out and he's looking for more.

Now he could have been applying ego strokes [tell the customer what a smart deal he'd made] in hopes of future business, except for the fact that this outlet deals almost exclusively in fleet sales and has virtually no parts or service department, ergo, I won't be coming back anytime soon. So I have to think he was being candid about the going rate in Northern CA. Cars really are selling at MSRP+$10K or better here. How is it then, that cars are being sold for significantly less elsewhere? Has Ford's no-broker policy really had a chllling effect on price equalization?

If anyone is interested in a new T-Bird call me. I can sell the car to at a more fair price than most of the Ford Dealers are selling them for. I have delivered 36 so far.
Eric Lee
Latham Motors
208-736-7080

Beverly Hills Ford (california) ran an advertisement in the L.A. Times a couple of weeks ago looking for Thunderbirds. I think Ken is the Manager. Otherwise; I would start calling dealers noted in Orange County. If they can sell there cars at $10k to $15k over MSRP; I would think they would want to buy as many as they could get. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back