Wheel for 1964

Gary Tayman

Gary Tayman

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Putting a spare tire in place. I never realized what a challenge this could be.

This project car came with mostly the wrong wheels, which are gone in favor of wires. However I've kept one of them, one I thought to be correct, for the spare. Also, all the jack hardware has been missing. Anyway I recently bought all this hardware, but I can't mount the spare tire in place because the jack base won't fit through the center hole of the wheel. I ordered a brand new base, same as the one I have. Wrong wheel? Wrong base? I've tried to get information from some other Bird owners, but I get conflicting stories.

We're talking about a 1964 hardtop. The center hole measures 2 3/8", the jack base measures 2 5/8", and someone told me the wheel should be 2 3/4". So I go looking for another wheel, and everyone I ralk to says their wheels are 2 3/8".

So what gives? Somebody out there must have a spare tire held in place. What size opening and what size base?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Gary when I bought my 64 it was missing jack also. After having the car a couple of weeks I did a you tube and found pristine jack behind right side trunk wall where it was installed at factory. It does not look like panel will come off but it does. Then old rum runner trick of the false wall. lol

Back