What a beautiful site to behold

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are located close enough to KSC to see the Shuttle launch. Just watched it go up and the SRB exhaust glowing orange in the rising morning sun is something to behold. As it rises into the upper atmosphere the glow goes from orange to brilliant white, almost silver. I was able to follow it all the way over the horizon.

We build the main engine control computer here at our facility and during launch it is in command of the Shuttle. It still gives me goose bumps every time I see one go up, I think that I have only missed 5 or 6 launches (unfortunately one that I didn't miss was Challenger).

We have supplied some type of system on every manned space flight and have a 100% mission success rate and the trend continues!

I love my job.
biggrin.gif

-

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

biggrin.gif
Sounds great, I've tried to see them a couple times over the years when I'm down in Sebring, My dad says they can see the night or very early morning launches from there. Never been there at the right time. I did get to see one in daylight but all I could see was a trail of smoke. Maybe some day.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Jodrod , saw that on tv today and seemed to be an exceptionally beautiful launch. I mean the sky the light and the afterburner just seemed to be in alignment. You are a lucky guy it seems. It is a great feeling to love your job.

I live in Orlando, as I tell visitors, a shuttle launch is probably the most incredible thing you can see while visiting in the area. Night launches are spectacular.

My friend Keith is a corporate pilot for Dupont, he was fifty miles away at 37 K feet when it went off. He said it was absolutely spectacular, he could see it take off & accelerate out of sight, he could even see the SRB separation.

Just think of what the Saturn V must have been like....

Tom M

My dad used to work for Xerox-he started when it was still part of Ford Aerospace Alheuristics Division. There's a bit of history for you-most folks don't know that Xerox started as part of Ford!

Anyway-his California accounts included North American, Rockwell and JPL-Pasadena. I still have the photos he was able to collect, showing engine tests and assembly of components for everything from the original Mercury missions all the way to the Skylab missions.

My dad took us out to Florida to watch the launch of Apollo 11-he was able to get us VIP access, and I got the distinct pleasure of meeting Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins. I have a commemorative patch of the mission, and a signed photo of the three standing in front of the launch pad with the Saturn V in place.

The launch was incredible! Felt like a 7.5 on the Richter Scale! I'll have to dig out the photos of that launch, and post them on my Ofoto site.

Here's another bit of trivia about the space program-during the Saturn V launches, they had to pour the equivalent of the amount of water flowing over Niagara Falls every minute into the blast chamber underneath the launch platform, in order to keep the launch platform and tower from meltdown.

------------------
**********, **************************

tongue.gif
That's a LOT of water.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Just watched Atlantis go up, not as spectacular as the last launch, it was kinda hazy, but beautiful none the less.

We continue our tradition of 100% mission success!

I played golf six years in a row @ Disney World Oldsmobile pga pro-am. Never got to see shuttle launch. tried each year. toured site twice and saw shuttles ready to launch, but missed it every time. this was 1988-94.
gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back