Upgrading a bad distributor...

hurleyman77

hurleyman77

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a '66 with a bad distributor. I obviously want to replace it, but I'd also like to upgrade it. I'm not interested in making it a dragster or anything, but I would like to improve its reliability and consistency.

What kinds of options are out there for more modern distributors? Is an electronically controlled distributor worth looking at? Any other improvements I might look at? There's a distributor for $500... any chance at all that's worth it?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi if you replace the distributor with a stock one you can replace the points and condenser with Pertronics electronic module. I have done it on a number of cars and is very simple. First you remove the points and condenser, then the breaker plate underneath and reverse the order with the parts from Pertronics. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish, and make sure you retime the distributor after you finish. You might also want to install Petronics Flame Thrower coil which ups the voltage to the plugs from 30,000 volts to 45,000 volts. the whole kit should cost you just about $100.00 less the distributor. I did it to one my of me cars 4 years ago and haven't had any problems with it and I have yet to change the plugs in the engine, I check them every year and the additional voltage does a go job keeping them clean. Good luck Rick

Hi if you replace the distributor with a stock one you can replace the points and condenser with Pertronics electronic module. I have done it on a number of cars and is very simple. First you remove the points and condenser, then the breaker plate underneath and reverse the order with the parts from Pertronics. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish, and make sure you retime the distributor after you finish. You might also want to install Petronics Flame Thrower coil which ups the voltage to the plugs from 30,000 volts to 45,000 volts. the whole kit should cost you just about $100.00 less the distributor. I did it to one my of me cars 4 years ago and haven't had any problems with it and I have yet to change the plugs in the engine, I check them every year and the additional voltage does a go job keeping them clean. Good luck Rick

Back