turn signal

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just got this 1997 Thunderbird. The turn signal has an issue and I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. When I need it to turn right, I have to hole it up near to the full position without going all the way to where it will hold itself, and it works perfectly. But if I push it all the way where it should go, it does not engage the front right turn signal and does not blink the right dash arrow. It just blinks the rear right turn signal very fast. As I said, if I hold it just before putting it in full position where it would normally go for left turn, it works perfectly. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is the turn signal switch bad or out of adjustment? Using it for left turn works perfectly. Thank you in advance.

Usually if it flashes quickly when operated it means you have a bulb that is not working. But.... you say if you hold it part way that it flashes properly. I'm guessing the front bulb is okay. therefore I would suspect the directional switch. First I would try changing the bulbs to see if it makes a difference. If it remains the same I would think you will be replacing the directional switch.

Usually if it flashes quickly when operated it means you have a bulb that is not working. But.... you say if you hold it part way that it flashes properly. I'm guessing the front bulb is okay. therefore I would suspect the directional switch. First I would try changing the bulbs to see if it makes a difference. If it remains the same I would think you will be replacing the directional switch.
Thank you very much. I checked and both front and back turn signal bulbs are working if I hold the turn signal handle up to turn right but do not go all the way to where it will hold in right turn position by itself. When I put the handle all the way up into right turn position, the front right turn does not work and the rear flashes fast. Also, the green arrow in the dash cluster works perfectly as well if I hold the handle up to turn right but if I push it on up where it normally goes for a right turn, the green arrow does not show in the dash. I assume I need a new directional switch, right?

I think the directional switch actually works okay because the lights blink properly when you lift the handle. I would more suspect a connection in the switch. You may be able to slightly bend the contact tab or possibly add a drop of solder to make it a good connection when the switch goes all the way to the detent.
It could possibly just be that the plate inside the column has loosened and you might fix it by just tightening a screw.

Fordrodsteven, thank you very much. Yes, that makes sense to me so I will look at it this weekend and reply with the results that I discover. Thank you very much.

Back