Tossed my cookies, now have problem. . .

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AZ Yellowbird

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
Someone somewhere suggested deleting all cookies now and then to flush unwanted ones. Advice was that sites you want to allow will re-establish theirs and the bad ones gone. Anyway, since I did that when I log in here I have to go to user cp and sign in that way. I cannot sign in with the sign-in link. Can anyone tell me what to do to get cookies to work here? I have the same problem with Yahoo mail - it won't remember me. Thanks in advance for any help. Jim

Jim,
The way I get around problems is that I bookmark the site and never actually sign out. I just close the page with the X at the top right and reenter next visit from the bookmarked link. Works every time without having to sign in again and I never have to dump the cookies unless I just happen to be cleaning up the hard drive. Good luck.

Ted

AZ, routinely deleting your cookies is a good thing...when you sign back in somewhere the first time, you should get a windows box that pops up asking you if you want windows to remember your password...if you say yes, it should, if you say no, you will have to relog in each time...if this isn't it, you may have inadvertantly changed your security settings...try clicking on restore defaults.

Brad, why is deleting cookies a good thing? I never delete cookies as whenever I did it ALWAYS caused problems like AZ is having. Plus I don't remember all my different passwords at the various sites I visit - I let my cookies remember.

Its been my experience that people that tell you to delete cookies really don't know what they are doing. Microsoft support likes to tell you to do this right off the bat and I refuse and it has never been the ultimate source of a problem. I know a site that told its visitors (as an April Fool joke) to delete their cookies. I knew that was going to create problems for a lot of people.

So... whats the argument FOR deleting them?

I get the impression that remembering passwords and cookies are two different things. iirc the password feature is part of IE or whatever browser you use. When I sign in here thru "user cp" it remembers my userid and password there. I just press "a" and my whole id appears. I tab and my password (dots) appears. For some reason the site is not able to update the cookie even when I set security as low as possible. I had this problem at "the other site" also (don't go there anymore) and at Yahoo mail also. They all *used* to work right.

I always delete my cookies.
Hint Quicks, when you bookmark something like this site forinstance, rename it to;
T-brd 4-m (name) Slowdraw (password) ouch

This way you could click on favorites anytime you forgot your secret stuff.

when you bookmark something like this site for instance, rename it
Good idea - I've done that at a couple of sites but am generally too unorganized to do it for all...

Quick, just start out slowly. One a day, ok? You can do it!!!

One a day, ok? You can do it!!!

I could only do it if I knew the username & passwords.. if I don't follow your advice when first bookmarking the site I don't know the username/password when I go back.
Cookies are your friends, let them remember the passwords and, never harm or delete them.

HA! Finally! I figured out what the problem was. I had a little app called CookieWall installed and it was preventing my computer from saving them. I removed that one and now it works right! Woohoo. :D

AZ, good sleuthing..

With Explorer, under Internet options/Privacy/Advanced Settings you can choose to be prompted before allowing any cookies to be written to your computer. Its unbelievable how many cookies some sites want to set – some sites try to install a dozen or more on just one visit to their home page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back