Tires 2005 Ford Thunderbird

T

tony millholen

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello friends , I need to get new tires for my 2005 Tbird . Has anyone gone to a taller tire for these cars ? I was told to get a better ride to try 235/55/17 can someone please let me know. Thank you, Tony (tbirdt)

Hi Tony I replaced the tires on 2005 with the same size but went a different brand. I went to Continental Pure Contact. They are better than the Michelins I had on there. They are an all year round tire. I know the ride is better because the other tires were 10 years old and the rubber had gotten hard. You can research those tires as I did I am very happy with them. Good Luck Rick.

Hi Tony I replaced the tires on 2005 with the same size but went a different brand. I went to Continental Pure Contact. They are better than the Michelins I had on there. They are an all year round tire. I know the ride is better because the other tires were 10 years old and the rubber had gotten hard. You can research those tires as I did I am very happy with them. Good Luck Rick.
Rick , thank you very much . This has been one of my hardest choices so far . The tires that came on it 235/50/17 still look new but like you said there now over 11 years old. My bones can feel every pot hole.

I think if you change to Pure Contact tires you will see the difference. If you use the car every day they will stay soft. The longer you let the car sit you will feel a small flat spot at first but it goes away after a mile or so. This is common with any tire. The older the tire the longer it takes for the flat spot to go away. Good luck Rick

Hey Tony. At the start of last summer, I put 235/55/17 on my 03 at the recommendation of my tire shop guy. He told me 55's will fill the wheel well and look better than the 50s. I've been buying tires from him for a long long time. This summer, we drove part of Route 66 - Chicago to Amarillo and the ride was fabulous. I also think the speedometer is more accurate with the 55's. I have about 5k miles on these tires now and couldn't be happier

Hey Tony. At the start of last summer, I put 235/55/17 on my 03 at the recommendation of my tire shop guy. He told me 55's will fill the wheel well and look better than the 50s. I've been buying tires from him for a long long time. This summer, we drove part of Route 66 - Chicago to Amarillo and the ride was fabulous. I also think the speedometer is more accurate with the 55's. I have about 5k miles on these tires now and couldn't be happier
That's what a guy at Ford said too. Thank you....what tires did you buy?

I purchased 4 Cooper Touring P225/55R17. Balanced and mounted plus tax for 480.00. Very happy with them. Glad you asked as I mistakenly typed 235 instead of 225 in my previous post.

I'll jump in here and wonder if anyone has put 20" tires and wheels on one of these 2002 - 05 TBirds?

Hello friends , I need to get new tires for my 2005 Tbird . Has anyone gone to a taller tire for these cars ? I was told to get a better ride to try 235/55/17 can someone please let me know. Thank you, Tony (tbirdt)
I went to a taller tire to get a better ride for my arthritic body. The tires have been a noticeable improvement. Possible downsides are that it reduces instantaneous thrust due to an effectively lower engine speed at any true road speed, and your speedometer will be off due to the larger tire circumference. I don't know what impact larger tires have on resale but might reduce the value a bit. My tires came from Tire Rack and were installed locally. Tire rack has various tire comparisons online so you can choose tire brands to best fit your preference rankings.

Back