Test Cars

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SK HALDEMAN

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
Does anyone know where or what part of the country the test cars are being driven. I got a report from someone I work with that he saw one driving down the bypass here in York Pa. but this guy is not to reliable.

Ford has test tracks near Romeo, MI and Phoenix, AZ, and the main proving ground is in Dearborn, MI. The Thunderbird Rumor Mill reports that five or six cars were spotted on a carrier near Atlanta - presumably on their way to automotive reviewers since dealer/customer shipments won't begin for several months.

I think it's likely there will be more sightings from many different parts of the country as we get closer to production. Exposure is good publicity for the automaker. When I was living in Detroit they actually parked new models on the banks of freeways prior to release. [Don't know if they could get away with that with a head-turner like the new T-bird, though :]

I live in the Detroit area and have seen MANY (all colors)of the new T-Birds running around the public streets and in parking lots for the last several months. My wife saw a yellow one with a black hardtop a couple of weeks ago and said it looked really sharp. The yellow has been made much brighter than the original concept car yellow....a much-needed improvement! Also saw a white one in a Home Depot parking lot a few weeks ago and the driver came out of the store. He was the T-Bird Platform Manager, I believe. He said the car drives really well and that about 45% of the first year's orders so far have been black.

When I sold F-L-M vehicles periodically we would get one that had a sticker from the factory that said the car was randomly picked for quality assurance and had been driven about 70 miles. Perhaps they are doing this.

All of the new 2002 T-Birds I have seen running around on Detroit area steets have had "manufacturer's" license plates on them, indicating to me that they are all Ford employees involved with the T-Bird program.

Originally posted by tbird:
When I sold F-L-M vehicles periodically we would get one that had a sticker from the factory that said the car was randomly picked for quality assurance and had been driven about 70 miles. Perhaps they are doing this.
I also live in the Detroit suburbs.I spoke to a young engineer for Ford who was testing a red T bird. It was the fourth generation protoype.He said this might be the last prototype before production launch supposedly for July delivery. I actually got to hear the muffler sound and sit in a running car.It is everything we all hope for. The v8 engine from the Lincoln sts hums power,tight sport suspension with just enough cush , beautiful in solid interior colors(for me the optional color patches are tacky). The plant in Wixom is 5 miles from my home so I'll know when they start moving them out. MEANTIME,if anyone is interested,I have a 2nd confirmed car that I am waiting to select that is $10,000 over list (Supposedly). The engineer said a friend of his auctioned his on EBAY for a substantial profit.If anyone is interested in the 2nd order, and would like to fill in the order ,I would welcome a n inquiry before I complete the order and go to auction.

I did get to drive one back in the spring.

Ford had hired a consultant to conduct market research on comparison drives between the BMW330ci, and Mercedes Benz CLK430.

So it is possible to see them at any type of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back