Stuck Gear Shifter Release Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been driving the Bird that much recently because of winter road conditions. I noticed that whenever I start the car after it hasn't been driven for a couple of weeks, the gear shifter release button can not be pressed in. I've discovered that the button can be pressed only if I pump the breaks several times. Does anyone know if this is a problem or normal behavior?

Moderator Note- Stop Brake Light Switch Purchase Link-

Last edited by a moderator:
ZBird, my gear shift release gets a teeny bit stiff but is otherwise just fine, even after a long wintertime hiatus. Of course, I'm in San Francisco, where it rarely gets below freezing. I don't know whether that makes a difference...

-- Paula

One thing I would check for sure is the brake lights ZBird. Have someone stand behind the car and apply the brakes when the conditions are in order that the shifter release usually does not work. The shift interlock release is activated by the brake light switch. It stands to reason that if the release is not working that your brake lights may not be working also. I've never tried this on the T-Bird, but on most all newer Fords if you cannot get the car out of park you can turn the key to the first position past off and then move the shifter to neutral without even stepping on the brake. The car can then be started in neutral (brake now applied) and then shift into the desired gear. This is only for the times it just will not come out of park. And remember I have not tried this on the T-Bird. Having worked as a Service Advisor for Ford for 5 1/2 years I know this works on the Taurus, Mustang, Crown Victoria, F-Series, & Econolines. But do check those brake lights. Would hate to hear someone rear ended you because the brake lights were not working. This may not be the case, but better safe than sorry.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

My 2002 bird has been waiting patiently in my garage since just after Thanksgiving, when the snow began to fly here in Michigan. The roads were dry here yesterday (very, very cold but dry) so the bird and I flew the coop for a girls day out, a little drive and a car wash. Even after sitting for so long and in such cold conditions I had no problems. She started right up, no shift lock button sticking problems or problems of any kind. Now I'm just wishing spring was not so far away.

Cameron Lynn

LO you were right on the money. My 2003 Thunderbird was giving me the same problem with the release button not releasing and sure enough the brake lights weren't working either. At least your trick of putting it in neutral before starting it allowed me to move it back into the garage while I research how to get the brake lights working again.

Thanks LO.
I checked my brake lights for intermittent operation.
My brake lights are intermittent and so is the release button. I'm going to get a switch.
Your work around with key position worked and convinced me it is just the switch.

Fixed it.
I replaced the switch and the brake lights and trans interlock are working properly.
There were no instructions with the first switch I got from AutoZone.

How to.
  1. Buy a switch. Ford part number SW-5474. About $15
    20170225_094051c.jpg
    Caution! Don't play with the plunger. You can only set this switch once.
  2. Remove the trim panel under the steering column.
    20170303_162938.jpg
    Take out the 3 plastic push rivets on the bottom edge.
    Pull up towards the steering wheel to release two clips.
    Unplug the TRAC switch and set the panel aside.
  3. Find the switch,
    20170223_131811.jpg 20170223_131820.jpg
  4. Remove it by turning it about 45deg Counter Clockwise.
  5. Release the catch and remove the plug.

6. Prepare the new switch. 20170225_094102c.jpg
    Don't Push the Plunger In!
    Rotate the cap on the top of the switch counter clockwise, until you hear a click.
    About 45deg
  7. Push down on and hold the Brake pedal to provide clearance for the plunger.
  8. Install the switch and rotate it Clockwise (about 45deg) until it latches.
  9. Slowly release the brake and hear the plunger ratchet in.(several clicks)
    When it stops, give the peddle a light tug to get one more click.
  10. Plug in the wire till it clicks
  11. Test the brakes and interlock.
  12. Plug in the TRAC switch and Replace the trim panel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the same problem..followed instructions above and works fine now. Thanks Alrhall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back