Steering Shaft Spring

G

GinettaG12P

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The steering shaft on my 1966 Thunderbird is missing some parts. I found the upper bearing shroud from a supplier, but I can't find the spring or the snapring that goes above the bearing. Can anyone point me to a source? Also, the upper spring usually centers the bearing, but on my '66 it does not appear that this is the function of the spring. What does the spring do on my 1966 Thunderbird? Thanks.

I don't know for sure where to buy the parts but I would think any salvage yard would have them in a car as long as the steering wheel is still in the car. It's been a long time since I've been inside the steering wheel on a Ford. If I remember correctly yes there is a snap / locking ring that holds the bearing. I'm pretty sure the function of the spring is to hold the horn ring away from making contact to the grounding plate. That way your horn won't be constantly blaring. I also feel that those parts would be common to almost any mid-sixties Ford. I don't think it is a Thunderbird specific part.

Back