Screwed by Ford???

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jboriott

Supporting Contributor
Last seen
I'm struggling with something. (As did many of you) I put my deposit down a year ago, and have a signed contract.

Now my dealer tells me that Ford has introduced a price increase (a few hundred). Am I the only person who feels that Ford is ABSOLUTELY wrong to do this?

I realize that demand exceeds supply on this car, so challenging the dealer on this issue is fruitless. But I feel like Ford is punishing me for their delays when I should actually be rewarded for my patience. In fact, this seems like a breach of contract/illegal.

Would it be pointless to go after Ford (as a group) on this issue?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Consider the people who paid $5,000 to $10,000 over MSRP count your blessings and eat the price increase, I did.

------------------
Jim Williams
red/red/std blk premium #2 of 2 VIN 1FAHP60A62Y111592
Mass. tag JWBIRD

If you have a signed contract, your dealer should hold the aggreed upon price. I believe Ford does not impose the price increases on cars ordered before any increase even though the sticker reflects the increase. Frankly, I think your dealer is just trying to get some extra profit .. $450.00 to be exact. My advice? Insist on the agreed price shown in the contract.

You miss a CRUCIAL point - those people were scalped by the dealer. Ford had little control over the situation, and supposedly Ford didn't want to have happen.

The price increase I'm talking about was introduced by Ford, AFTER a signed contract and cash commitment.

When first told about this (a week ago) I didn't let it bother me - having waited so long. Now I feel like a victim of Stockholm syndrome (where kidnapped people defend their captors). FORD WAS LATE. I'VE ENDURED THEIR PRODUCTION PROBLEMS. I LOCKED UP A DEPOSIT. WHY SHOULD I BE ABUSED (PUNISHED) FOR THIS??????????????

You missed David's point. Your order can be price protected at your original order price level. If you changed your order later, the new price is in effect.
You were not "Had" by Ford. Duane

I ordered my car before the two price increases, totalling $450.

I picked up my car last week and paid the OLD price, lower price.

It says on the bottom of the standard purchase agreement signed by you and the dealer the "the price cannot be increased after the contract has been signed and accepted by the dealer".

------------------
blue/blue/full blue prem
Vin 16050;Rotation 5856
Delivered 4/29

Originally posted by jboriott:

Now my dealer tells me that Ford has introduced a price increase (a few hundred). Am I the only person who feels that Ford is ABSOLUTELY wrong to do this?

This is perfectly normal in today's market for an automobile to increase slightly in price during the production year. Ford has done this in the past on other mass production vehicles like the Explorer. They have ran into a few unforseen problems this model year, so the price increase is to be expected. Your dealership should have informed you of this when you put down your deposit.

My understanding is once the dealer cashes your deposit check they are legaly bound to the agreed upon price as stated in the contract.

Originally posted by jt2233:
My understanding is once the dealer cashes your deposit check they are legaly bound to the agreed upon price as stated in the contract.

The dealer is supposed to tell the customer that if the price goes up (which is out of their control) the buyer pays it. Depends on how ignorant the dealer is. Most of them are not going to eat price increases, but they are supposed to tell you upfront that he price may go up.

In other words, you should be protected. The dealer is taking a run at you!!!
rolleyes.gif

RedBird - what are the details on the price protection? How do you know about this?

I don't want to go to the dealer and say "I heard..." I need facts. Please advise.

Here is an answer I got from a reliable source:

"If i order a vehicle for you and invoice is 15000 dollars, we agree on a price then lets say next week ford has an increase and it goes up $277, if i keep the dealer order receipt acknowledgement and i have ordered the vehicle with the retail order code then i can keep my word with you and not lose any money. I have only used it a few times. most of the time it never is needed."

Hope this helps.

------------------
Tbird

tbird got it right this time. Interesting how much supposition you can get when there is a procedural issue. Again, he wasn't "HAD" by Ford. Duane

Originally posted by RedBirdDlx:
Again, he wasn't "HAD" by Ford. Duane

I agree, we are talking about the franchise which is not Ford, Ford owns the sign and can/will remove it from the dealership at any time. :) FMC can't control each dealership and it's practices.

Fine, the dealer can/should hold tight on the price increase.

Now let's talk reality. What kind of leverage do we have when demand outstrips supply?

The contract has small printed text that talks about the dealrs ability to pass price increases on. My dealer is pretty good (agreed to the car at list), but I fear I've lost this point, i.e. $450.

Many moons ago when got the price quote for
the car, it was signed by the sales manager.

When the dealer finally gets the invoice
for the car coming in. It now has the
new price increase.

I said to the salesman -- So the signed
order I have with the managers signature
is worthless, he flat said yes. I guess
could have complained but after 2 years
your just tired. Paid the $450 to be over
and done with. We had the price written
down to drive out figure. When I ordered my
vette, price was MSRP, they didn't write
a figure just MSRP less trade plus T,T,&L.

Guess it boil down to how much you want to
argue at the end.

I consider myself very lucky. I ordered my car on 12/15/01 and took delivery yesterday (5/8). I waited less than 5 months. I purchased as MSRP. My contract only stated MSRP, so I expected to pay the $450 increase. When I received the call from the Finance Manager informing me of the balance due, I was pleasantly surprised!!! I was being charged the MSRP on 12/15/01. My dealer is Family Ford in Waterbury, Connecticut.

DebMcT - that's they way it should work - Transparant to the customer. That's the kind of dealership I would trust with filling my vehicle needs.
Perhaps the other Sales Manager was not aware that the order can be price protected even though the invoice with the vehicle shows a later price level. It's hard to know everything. I was there for 32 years and I learn new stuff on this forum every day. Duane

As you live in N.J. I would call Elmwood Ford in Elmwood Park N.J. and see what they have. I walked in and Bought our bird for msrp. If they have what you like, tell your dealer to keep his car and get your deposit back. At msrp they are making enough profit to absorb any price increase since you placed your order.

------------------
02 Black T-Bird
1955 Sunliner Convertible
1955 Crown Victoria Glass Top
1931 Model "A" Panel Delivery Truck
1931 Model "A" Station Wagon
1971 Chevrolet S/B Pick up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back