rough idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
gbsb

gbsb

Torch Red '02
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone removed the coils (cop) from the engine and blowed the moister from them then put the grease on them and reinstalled them ? My 02 seems to have moister on the cop's . Thanks gbsb

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi gbsb:
Yes, there is a TSB 05-16-2 for this issue. If you are still under warranty, (See note below) take a copy of this with you for service. This TSB specifically addrtesses a new seal for the wiper motor to prevent your moisture issue - Read other threads below that show you are covered up to 100,000 miles for this issue by Ford, but only if your car is 2003, 2004 or 2005 - Sorry no 2002's covered.
If you handy, have fun with it:

Last edited:
Here's another TSB 03-14-4, for rough running:

Now for those who are 'do-it-yourselfers', here's some data on an owner that did his own fixing:
"I needed a new foam seal on the cowl panel to prevent moisture. They installed Part number 5W4Z-54021A46-A. So, if it's moisture causing the problem, replace the seal for the windshield wiper motor (which is on the cowl cover in a hole (per TSB)), or as was suggested above, change the boot on the plug/coil assembly.
if it's an oil leak - replace the valve cover gasket (per TSB)."
Another owner:
"Started my Spring cleaning on the TBird today and replaced this seal myself. Wasn't really a difficult job. Just remove the "plugs" holding the cowl down and remove both wiper arms. Then snap the back of the cowl off where it's attached with four or so plastic "clips" and remove the two windshield washer hoses where they connect to the spray outlets. Now, the cowl is off!
Took off the old seal and used Tar & Bug remover to remove the adhesive residue. Pealed off the backing on the new cowl seal and affixed it. Then I reinstalled the cowl in the reverse of above."

Hope these help you!! By the way, I have a copy of that Ford letter if you need a copy, send me your email adderess:cool: Since it is not a PDF file I cannot attach it here:)

Last edited:
Duplicate post, Sorry!

Thanks for the info. I will pull the coils clean and put them back. Mine is an Inspiration Yellow '02 and has 98,000 miles on it. It has had one coil replaced and Runs well with the exception of a rough idle every once in a while. The transmittion acts up on the one two shift once in a while, but we use the heck out of this car and love it. Was at the dealer today looking and he offered $20,000.00 trade in on a Mustang GT, but I could't let it go. I mechanic for a living and plan on putting another 100,000 miles on the Bird. Put the top back on today and adjusted the front hold down bolt liked the post said and it went right on . Thanks agin love this sight. GBSB

Now for those who are 'do-it-yourselfers', here's some data on an owner that did his own fixing:
"I needed a new foam seal on the cowl panel to prevent moisture. They installed Part number 5W4Z-54021A46-A. So, if it's moisture causing the problem, replace the seal for the windshield wiper motor (which is on the cowl cover in a hole (per TSB)), or as was suggested above, change the boot on the plug/coil assembly.
Another owner:
"Started my Spring cleaning on the TBird today and replaced this seal myself. Wasn't really a difficult job. Just remove the "plugs" holding the cowl down and remove both wiper arms. Then snap the back of the cowl off where it's attached with four or so plastic "clips" and remove the two windshield washer hoses where they connect to the spray outlets. Now, the cowl is off!
Took off the old seal and used Tar & Bug remover to remove the adhesive residue. Pealed off the backing on the new cowl seal and affixed it. Then I reinstalled the cowl in the reverse of above."

Hope these help you!! By the way, I have a copy of that Ford letter if you need a copy, send me your email adderess:cool: Since it is not a PDF file I cannot attach it here:)
Another owner:

Hi George! Would this cause my wipers to fail after heavy rain? This happened to my 2004 today. Please email the article Ford letter to me to: vcionetti@******* THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back