Replacing Oil Pump Pressure Relief Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
C
Last seen
I am trying to install an oil pump rebuild kit that came with the new pressure relief valve/spring and cap on a '92 w/ 3.8L engine. The cap appears to be pressed into the timing cover to retain the valve and spring in place. It's like a freeze plug into the block, but turned over so the smooth side is facing up. IS THERE A TRICK TO REMOVING THE OLD ONE? It looks like I have to totally destroy it to remove it but I don't want to damage the hole in prying on it to get it to pop out.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Solved

I drilled a small hole in center of cap, inserted a hefty 1" long self-tapping screw and was able to yank on it with a cheap Harbor Freight slide hammer to get the plug out very easily. Overall, the rebuild kit and H/F slide-hammer was still cheaper process than just a replacement (rebuilt) oil pump that did not come with new pressure relief valve for timing cover.

Check your valve when you have access, it may be sticky like ours was.

Now we ALL know! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back