Replacement battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.
M
Last seen
It is finally time to replace the original battery on my wife's 2002 - still works great just nervous now that it is 5 years old. Unlike many with bad battery experience ours has been great, can't recall when I had another battery last this long.

Of course, I have been aware for some time that there is no aftermarket replacement battery available - but there are many aftermarket batteries with the same CA/CCA or higher, same dimensions, and same post configuration - can anyone tell me why I should use the Dealer only replacement battery instead one of these????? I certainly do not want to enrich the dealer by paying their ADP (added dealer profit).

Thanks.

Mike:
The main reason you must get one from Ford is that they are the only ones that sell the battery we need, that is vented.

Just in case you did not know, our batteries have a vent tube that vents it down through the body to the outside. Why? As I was told, this prevents any outgassing, that may occur from the battery, from being trapped in the trunk of the car, that could find its way into the cabin of the car.

Of course most batteries do not need a vent tube because the batteries are located under the hood and there is plenty of air circulation under the hood.

Hope this helps you.

As a side note as to why to make sure its vented properly. I worked for Mercedes Benz for nearly 20 years and all their batteries are vented as well. We would get in shipments and have to pull the vent plugs off as they would swell up like eggs nearly bursting. On occassion people would come in(via flatbed) with an aftermarket battery in the car which wasnt vented properly and it would explode. Of course it also allows you the time to replace all the carpet and anything you might havead in your trunk.

battery replacement

Thanks for responses - I know it is vented and outgassing, etc..............
O'Reilly Auto Parts does have a replacement battery that is vented, and they can also order Motorcraft BXT 66-650 - unfortuantely there are not any of their stores within 600 miles of me.

Mike:
I believe that Ford was the only place to get a TBird battery and that's probably where I'll get mine. However, I did see them listed at the "motorhead" site.
Here's what it says for 2002:
OEM Parts > 2002 > Ford > Thndrbrd V8 3.9 > Battery
Exact Fit Battery
24 Month Free Replacement Warranty. Exact Fit container replacement battery matches OE battery size. Original Equipment Roll-over cover for continued consumer safety. Forged terminal post bushings resist acid leakage for improved life and performance. Original Equipment venting system allow for remote venting without retrofits. Exact Fit hold-downs. Flame retardant safety vents. Original Equipment fold-down handle.

Just thought I'd put that out there for "The do-it-yourselfer's". - Fold down handle???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back