Removing & Replacing Power Steering Pump

C

classicfordguy

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey, folks. I'm new to the forum, and look forward to gaining some knowledge, and also sharing some at the same time. We have a 2002 Bird with the Premium Trim package, with about 22,000 miles. We got it new in July 2002 in Charlotte, NC. It was purchased from Harrelson Ford.
Anyway, the reason I joined your forum is that I need some help. The power steering pump has started to leak from the shaft seal. I have purchased an aftermarket pump, and started working on it today. I am using a Ford Factory manual for guidance. Before I go further, I'll let you know that I'm not a rookie. I started twisting wrenches as a teen (I'm 57 now), have worked on NASCAR race cars, and hand built 2 Classic Mustangs.
According to the book, after removing the 4 bolts in the AC Compressor, it says to move it out of the way. This is where the problem lies. Without removing the AC lines, I can't get enough slack to move it out of the way. There is a little tab on the lower block area at the edge of the oil pan. If this were gone, it might make things easier. But, I'm not going to saw it off! Does anyone have any suggestions how to move the compressor far enough without discharging the AC? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hey, folks. I'm new to the forum, and look forward to gaining some knowledge, and also sharing some at the same time. We have a 2002 Bird with the Premium Trim package, with about 22,000 miles. We got it new in July 2002 in Charlotte, NC. It was purchased from Harrelson Ford.
Anyway, the reason I joined your forum is that I need some help. The power steering pump has started to leak from the shaft seal. I have purchased an aftermarket pump, and started working on it today. I am using a Ford Factory manual for guidance. Before I go further, I'll let you know that I'm not a rookie. I started twisting wrenches as a teen (I'm 57 now), have worked on NASCAR race cars, and hand built 2 Classic Mustangs.
According to the book, after removing the 4 bolts in the AC Compressor, it says to move it out of the way. This is where the problem lies. Without removing the AC lines, I can't get enough slack to move it out of the way. There is a little tab on the lower block area at the edge of the oil pan. If this were gone, it might make things easier. But, I'm not going to saw it off! Does anyone have any suggestions how to move the compressor far enough without discharging the AC? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have been working on mine but only have to replace the o ring and teflon gasket on the high pressure side hose connector. This is a real pain and am still working on it but it looks to me like you will have to take the air conditioning hoses off the pump but I would look for an easier way if there is one.

I ended up replacing the power steering pump, high pressure line, serpentine belt, and tensioner pulley. It required removing the air conditioner pump which required removing the refrigerant and the manifold from the pump to be able get the pump out of the tiny access hole. Once it was removed it was very difficult to remove the high pressure line and the steering pump itself. The only way I could get the high pressure line correctly connected to the pump was to do it on the workbench and then install the pump and line as a unit. Again difficult and time consuming.

I had two days on it and then another full day with another skilled person with an air conditioner recharge unit to make it all okay. It is good now with no leaks. I replaced the pump because I had it off and the pulley was a bit warped. I don't know if the pump itself was really bad.

I expect a good mechanic with experience on a T bird would have charged eight hours labor or more to do this job. It was a pain.

are you sure its not the electric sensor, i just had this problem

Back