OS 2 sensor and Engine coolant questions

Aquarius

Aquarius

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need to add engine coolant to my 2003 Thunderbird. Manual calls out Motorcraft Premium Engine coolant VC-4-A. Is this the only coolant that can be used or can I use aftermarket product such as Prestone?
Also engine code shows I need to replace OS 2 sensor. I have heard from another Ford owner that I must replace with Ford oem sensor or the engine light won't go off. Any truth to that or am I being played?
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have used an aftermarket coolant as long as it doesn't say not in Ford products. The O2 sensor can be changed but try a bottle of Seafoam fuel treatment which cleans the complete fuel system including the exhaust system. You might also try the spray which is introduced thru the air intake. The combination of both might solve your problem, it is a lot cheaper then having the O2 sensors replaced. Good Luck Rick

Thanks for the tip on the O2 sensor, I'll give that a try! I also called my local Ford garage and told me same thing. A good quality coolant will work as long as compatible with Fords.

I don't remember it happened a couple of years ago. If you put a pan under that part of the radiator it would save the coolant its toxic if animals drink it. Rick

Back