Oil Filter not available

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gearhead99

Last seen
After purchasing the 2004 Bird I wanted to change it to Amsoil.

I found that the aftermarket doesn't have oil filters for it yet. OK, go to dealer then. [I have an auto/truck repair garage]

Well they are backordered at the dealer???

I guess the '04 has a different filter. Ordered a few and guess I'll just have to wait.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Gearhead99 said:
After purchasing the 2004 Bird I wanted to change it to Amsoil.

I found that the aftermarket doesn't have oil filters for it yet. OK, go to dealer then. [I have an auto/truck repair garage]

Well they are backordered at the dealer???

I guess the '04 has a different filter. Ordered a few and guess I'll just have to wait.

Are you SURE they are different? The '02 & '03 birds are different engines and different filters but the 03 and 04 birds have the same engine. I've heard many people use the newer (and cheaper) '03 filter on their '02 birds.

Is it the same engine as the Lincoln? If so, possibly they would have the proper ones.

I just did an oil change on my '03. Purolator L15317 is an exact fit. It's in a purolator box but when you open it, it's a German made filter. Cost is $8.99 at any auto parts store. Other options are harder to find but are as follows:
Fram PH5618
Motorcraft FL-218
Purolator Pure One L25522
Wix 57302 or 51228
I switched to Syn oil as well. Castrol now makes full syn 5W20.

Went to dealer today to double check on oil filter.

I wanted to see if the 03 is different then the 04. Yep, it is a different filter number for the 04.

Still backordered too.

Gearhead99 said:
Went to dealer today to double check on oil filter.

I wanted to see if the 03 is different then the 04. Yep, it is a different filter number for the 04.

Still backordered too.

As has been suggested you might try a Lincoln dealer, it's the same engine in the LS. I just can't believe the Ford dealers are telling their Thunderbird owners, and the Lincoln dealers are telling their Lincoln LS owners that "No we cant change your oil, we don't have any filters"

Oil Filter

I had the same trouble when I took my Bird in for it's first oil change. The dealer didn't have the filter and when they checked around, only one filter was available in the Cleveland, Ohio area. That dealer did not want to give it up unless they did the work. A deal was worked out and my dealer got the filter and did the work. I have the occassion to visit my dealership and check on the filter availability. Seems they get one in and the owner of the dealership uses it for his car or it is sent to another dealer.

Nothing like being on top of the parts situation. Quite disappointed that you can't drive in and get your baby's oil changed without making sure they have the parts. Probably in the near future, you will have to make sure there is enough oil.

ticket ted

2003 whisper white/full black-red interior

Ted:
It may be worth your while to get a filter on order for yourself. Just for the times they may not have one. That way, they could use yours and then they can order you another.

Received two filters today.

Now I can change the Tbird's oil to Amsoil. Has 1000 miles on it already.

The number was FL 218.

I don't know why the dealer told you that the 2004 used a different filter. This is the same type of mis-info I was given by my dealer about Motorcraft being the ONLY full syn 5W20 oil available at $7 per quart! Hogwash!! I can get Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1 for $4.75 per quart. As for the Filter issue, The FL 218 is the SAME filter used on the '03. As I said earlier in this thread, the Purolator L15317 is an EXACT replacement for the Motorcraft FL-218 and is available at auto parts stores for $8.99. If you're dead set on using only Motorcraft parts then I guess it's worth the long wait. As for me I've got no issues with Purolator or any other quality after market product.

Oil filter

I almost fell over the other day. Went to my local cheap auto parts store, Auto Zone for a thermostat and gasket for my Taurus. I walked over to the oil filter rack, saw a filter list and found a number for the 2003 Bird. When I looked for the filter, there was a box but no filter in it. They are available after market but haven't had a chance to get my hands on one. I still have to get the car in to get the emergency brake cable correctly routed. Just have been putting it off. When this is done, the Bird will get it's second oil change. Hope the dealer has got his act together.

....I've had the oil changed twice now, from two different dealers no filter shortage, but a premium price!....Just changed the air filter...which I bought from the dealer, who had it in stock...$15.00cdn. which I thought was reasonable..... :D

[QUOTE=00mustng....Just changed the air filter...which I bought from the dealer, who had it in stock...$15.00cdn. which I thought was reasonable..... :D

I just installed a K & N air filter on mine. $39 on line. Better airflow and should last a good long time! :)

Last edited:
Just had my first oil change/lube on my 03 bird. Seeing other prices posted here for oil and filters has me concerned. The total invoice for 6 quarts of XO5W20QSP oil and an FL218 filter was only $28.45. This included $9 labor,$1. disposal and $1.21 tax. $17.24 for the filter and oil is either the best bargain around or I didn't get the synthetic oil recommended by Ford...
My car is the only T-bird sold by this dealer.

Skylark said:
Just had my first oil change/lube on my 03 bird. Seeing other prices posted here for oil and filters has me concerned. The total invoice for 6 quarts of XO5W20QSP oil and an FL218 filter was only $28.45. This included $9 labor,$1. disposal and $1.21 tax. $17.24 for the filter and oil is either the best bargain around or I didn't get the synthetic oil recommended by Ford...
My car is the only T-bird sold by this dealer.

The recommended oil is a semi-synthetic and is about $1.75 qt. at Wal-mart - when I had mine changed at the Ford dealer they pumped it out of a barrel that didn't apprear to be labled with anything I recognized as the proper oil. I asked and was assured it was the recommended oil.

I'm not set on Motorcraft only filters. Heck, I own and operate a repair garage and sell many different types of filters. My source for aftermarket didn't have a listing. Both of the dealers I called, one Ford, one L/M, had them on back order. There wasn't a rush to change the oil to Amsoil. I just wanted the filters so I could do it at the shop when, maybe better word would of been IF, we slow up. Lots of broken cars in this HOT weather.

Anyway.....oil and filter are changed. Motorcraft filter and Amsoil.

No offense intended with the Motorcraft remark Gearhead99. As an auto repair professional you probably know better than me where to find quality service parts! The first thing I do when I buy a new vehicle is conduct a little research and make a list of all aftermarket service parts. Filters, fluids, etc. It makes it easier when situations like this pop up. As for Oil, I'm still using Castrol semi-syn 5W20 until I get 5000 miles on the odo. Then I'm going to full syn Castrol 5W20. I've recently learned that Mobil 1 0W20 is OK for our cars as well. It meets ALL FoMoCo requirements for our engines. For those who can truly afford the best, Red Line and Royal Purple both make a 5W20 full syn oil for about $8 per quart!! That makes for one expensive oil change! :eek:

Hey, ajsam. No offense taken.

Now I'll give you my views on oil and filters.......

1. Oil Filters--yes there are better oil filters then some. But, who really knows??? The Amsoil people tell you that they compared theirs to what ever and that theirs is MUCH BETTER !!!! Then you see Puralator and they say the same thing. Then we can go to Wix and what ever.

At my shop I purchase an off brand oil filter, Parts Master. It is made by Puralator. How do I know...well had a problem and when I raised the roof this little bit of info. came out. Oil filters are like batteries and tires. There isn't a whole lot of companies manufacturing them. Just a few and they put everyone elses name on them.

2. Oil--Whoa !!!! Big topic. Why use a blended synthetic oil??? Just either use Dino or Sythetic. Why use a mix?? Is it the money??? I'm not putting you down....just don't understand why. It is your car/tk/boat/what ever and you can put anything you want in the engine.

I prefer for high end synthetic oil, Amsoil. Why, cause I believe in it and it is the only oil, that I know of, that OK's extended the oil change intervals. Further, it gets better here, I use to have a call in radio show here in Orlando. Every week, and I mean Every week I would receive a call about synthetic oil and/or Slick 50. Well here is what I found when I did personal research on it for the air. Synthetic is superior to dino oil in handling the high heat of internal combustion engines. Hence the extended oil change and how well the oil handles our Florida heat. I sell the heck out of Amsoil on the premise that you can go 10,000 miles between changes. I'm talking cars/tks now. Personally I have it in all my vehicles and change it at 10K. It's easy to do, cause all you have to do is time it so it is due when the odometer rolls over 10k, 20K, 30K, etc. Easy for wife to understand, don't need a sticker, that you can't read after a month anyway and it is better for the car/tk. I ran Amsoil in my Mark VIII, here in Orlando, from 40,000 miles till I recently sold it with 128,000 on it. Used ZERO oil between changes. Now that is 10,000 miles not 3,000 miles. Also, at 100K I decided to change spark plugs and found that I had a valve cover leaking. Leaking oil into sparkplug tube. Had mechanic change valve cover gaskets at that time too. When the valve cover was off the DOHC cylinder head looked like a brand new cyl. head that someone squirted with oil. No dirt, sludge or anything. Now that is something.

The T-bird. Now has 10-30 Amsoil in it. Car has 1100 miles. I'll change it at 10,000 miles. And I won't worry if I'm running late cause my shop is too busy to change it. [This does happen sometimes] Cause I know I'm protected with Amsoil. Amsoil recomends changing at 25,000 mile with a filter change at 12,000 and a top off. That's a little long for me too.

Anyway...I've rambled on too long. Take care, drive that Bird and enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back