Oil coming out of air filter need help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P
Last seen
I have a 96 4.6 liter ford t-bird. Well I started to notice a oil leak and found out it was coming from my cold air intake so i first thought is was the air valve the name excapes me now so i replaced it does nothing.

Well ppl said it could be my pistons rings. Well the car smokes alot now cause of the leak could this be the pistons rings are bad. plus does anyone know how much it would cost to replace plus what all should i replace sense the motor will be open?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

PCV valve...when they fail they allow oil from the valve area to enter the intake tube. No big deal. However, if you are smoking there may be on of two issues that you're having. The first is as you mentioned the rings. What type of smoke is it? Is it light blue with a burnt oil smell? If so, oil is getting into your combustion chamber somehow...valve stem seals or rings are the likely suspects. If the smoke is white and somewhat sweet smelling that means coolant is getting into your combustion chamber. That could be a blown head gasket or as I recall, the intake manifold <or> gasket. I believe there was a recall for the intake gasket failing which could easily be the issue there. The easiest way to find out is to first get your antifreeze checked for oil...it's a chemical test and usually runs $35-$45. If that is negative, then you could have a compression check. This is just a bit more time consuming so it will cost more. This will tell you if you have blow by on your rings. Either way both tests are much cheaper than a rebuild. I'd get those to find out exactly what is going on, then go from there. It's possible you don't have an issue at all...other than oil buildup on the intake tube and manifold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back