New Owner- 1964 Ford Thunderbird Convertible

Cam
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello

I am taking delivery of 1963 Convertible and will need a lot of information from experienced Thunderbird owners. I there a way to search the forum by topic rather than scrolling down every entry?

For example I would like to know what the cylinder compression should be for a healthy engine?

Thank you
Cam

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello

I am taking delivery of 1963 Convertible and will need a lot of information from experienced Thunderbird owners. I there a way to search the forum by topic rather than scrolling down every entry?

For example I would like to know what the cylinder compression should be for a healthy engine?

Thank you
Cam
Your compression on the engine specs would be 10.1 to 1
Google " 1964 thunderbird engine compression " This site, shows technical specs and data
I restored a 65 convertible some years ago. Of all birds I think they're the nicest models
Tom

My bad
Here are the engine codes for the 1963
Google " 1963 thunderbird engine compression "

ENGINE CODES

Z

M

9 390 Cubic Inch V-8 (275 Horsepower)

4-Barrel Holley Carburetor/Single Exhaust System (Export only; low octane)

Z Thunderbird 390 Special V-8 (300 Horsepower)

4-Barrel Holley Carburetor/Single Exhaust System (See note below)

M Thunderbird High Performance 390 Sports V-8 (340 Horsepower)

3 x 2-Barrel Holley Carburetors/Dual Exhaust System

Note: A dual exhaust system was optional with "Z" code engine during first part of model year, and was made standard mid-year due to a compression ratio increase from 9.6:1 to 10.8:1.
Tom

Your compression on the engine specs would be 10.1 to 1
Google " 1964 thunderbird engine compression " This site, shows technical specs and data
I restored a 65 convertible some years ago. Of all birds I think they're the nicest models
Tom

Tom

Thank you for your info. I was able to find the info. It appears that the compression on an engine with 85,000 mile should be between 140-160 Lbs. when testing with a compression gauge, and there should not be more than 10% variation between cylinders.

I'll see how mine measures up.

Thanks again
Cam

Back