Mice chewing thru wiring

Nort
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My Mechanic handed me a 13 page list of what they might have to do to find where the mice chewed through the wiring. He also could not give me an estimate except to say it was on an hourly rate and could be very expensive. Help!!!!!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

mice hate dryer sheets.when i store my motorcycle for the winter i stuff em everywhere.those wiring bundles can take forever to inspect for damage.chances of you finding the prob are slim.

It goes beyond dryer sheets. No kidding...get a cat and let it be with the T-Bird. There are sonic rodent chasers and the better ones really work.

As for a new wire harness...oyi....8 thousand.

My Mechanic handed me a 13 page list of what they might have to do to find where the mice chewed through the wiring. He also could not give me an estimate except to say it was on an hourly rate and could be very expensive. Help!!!!!
I know your post was from a long time ago but. I Have a 2004 Thunderbird that the mice have chewed some wires up on. This is actually the 3rd time for this. of course, the wiring is discontinued now. Do you have any idea where I can get a wiring diagram for my car? or how you fixed your car?

Bear in mind these are complex cars with many inter-related systems and communications busses that control
key components and three basic computers that divide up the electrical control workload. Ford dealers have
(or used to have) specialized equipment to track down the more difficult problems. Most will give you a
diagnostic asseesment for about $129 but that doesn't always lead you to a solution.

CarCapsule when storing. So far, mine keeps the pests out.

My friend has a 2020 Cadillac where mice started chewing the soy-based wiring in his rural area. Cars started displaying all kinds of messages but his warranty covered the $4700 cost.

Later discovered and now uses peppermint oil spray in and around the engine compartment. He has not seen any damage now for almost a year. I started using it around my firewood stores around the house with traps and have not seen anything. In 43 years, there are always mice. Will see by spring.

I know your post was from a long time ago but. I Have a 2004 Thunderbird that the mice have chewed some wires up on. This is actually the 3rd time for this. of course, the wiring is discontinued now. Do you have any idea where I can get a wiring diagram for my car? or how you fixed your car?
Can you post some pictures of the wiring damage? If you can tell us where the mice damaged the wiring on your car or let us know what wiring diagram you need, maybe I can attach the wiring diagram to this post.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Thanks for your replies. I will post pics when I get back from vacation. It's sad the 2004 Thunderbird has less than 6,000 miles on it and I am the 2nd owner. My Dad bought the car new for my mom for Mother's Day. They traveled all the time, so it sat in their barn most of the time. I have it in my garage now. It will be one of my winter projects.

Nice that you're keeping it in the family, maybe a close physical inspection will reveal the damage.
Having been a Navy fighter jet avionics technican I would do "aircraft quality repairs" in lieu of buying complete harnesses.
That means splicing a new wire of the proper color and gauge into a damaged wire run, soldered on each end with a double layer of shrinkable tubing applied over each solder joint, and the repaired run safely routed and zip-tied or electrical taped in place.

Good luck!

Back