1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Dismiss Notice

lowering

Discussion in '1989 - 1997 Ford Thunderbird' started by jed, Apr 4, 2016.

1. new here had my bird for bout 5 yrs wondering can I cut coil springs front n back to lower her

2. captrick

captrick Active Member Lifetime Donor

If you cut the springs you will have the same amount of weight on less coils and you may bottom out the suspension easier and more frequently. Your best bet is to go to a good Hot Rod Shop and see if they make a lowering kit for you T-Bird. I think that the Fox Body Mustangs use the same suspension and you may be able to buy something from Ford, Steeda, or any Mustang suspension company. Remember the springs have a rating to them and that rating is figured out by the number coils and the height of the spring, if you change the height of the spring and don't change the rating you will have a handling problem. Good Luck ........

Grumpy likes this.
  3. I'm new. I am looking for the same thing myself. I have found these which are supposed to fit. They are speaking about Cougars and T-Birds - no mention of Mustang compatibility. VogtlandĀ® - 1.57" x 1.57" Sport Front and Rear Lowering Coil Spring Kit. About 1.5" should be good level. But I'm lookin for more information.

4. Our Birds are built on the Lincoln mk VIII. I got this information from the guys at Summit Racing. I hope this information helps you. Sonnysixkiller

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+1!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!