Let the stories begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LON O'CONNELL

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
Let the stories begin;

Pulled up to a stoplight yesterday afternoon and there was a guy standing on the corner with a will work for food sign. He approched me and said he would wax my car for a ride. (lol) I said thanks but no thanks as the car already has a fresh coat of wax on it. He then asked if he could just have a ride. Looking at him you could tell he had been sleeping on the ground and his clothes were just too dirty to sit on the yellow accented leather seats. Told him I was sorry that I could not accomidate him as I was in a hurry to make a meeting.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

I have another story that centers around the Thunderbird.

A couple of days ago, I was out doing a bit of last minute gift shopping for the Holidays. I had parked the car far away from everyone else. As I walked across the wide expanse of asphalt to my car, I noticed a man in a wheelchair trying to get a look inside the car. As I got closer, I spoke to him and said "hello". He seemed so excited to see me and to get any news about the car that I could give to him. He seemed to be a lonely man, as our conversation about the car soon led to his explanation about how he ended up in the wheelchair. The story goes that he had bought a Thunderbird back in 1957 and a week after he bought the car, he had a motorcycle accident that left him paralyzed from the waist down. He was never able to drive the Thunderbird again. He kept it in his garage for awhile, hoping that he would get better and be able to drive it again, be he never did. He sold the car and was never able to drive again. He has admired Thunderbird's through the years and followed their evolution. He was truely impressed with the new design.

He congratulated me for being able to own such a beautiful car and for being so kind to show it to him and to speak with him. (Our total conversation lasted about 30 minutes)

He left me with the following words of wisdom: If you are able to do something now, go for it. Don't wait for tomorrow.

So far, this has been my BEST story relating to the car. It helped reinforce just how lucky that we ALL are to be able to drive our new Thunderbird's. Don't wait for tomorrow, if you can do it now.

TbirdTim, Now that's a great story!

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/14

TBT,

My sentiments exactly, tomorrow may be too late. I have really only wanted 3 cars in my life, 1st the TBird, 2nd a Mustang and 3rd a 240Z. I have been fortunate in that with this car I have been able to enjoy all 3. If for whatever reason tomorrow I am not able to drive the Bird, I have had the joy and pleasure of owning and driving this wonderful car for over two months now. It may be a hedonistic attitude but eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die. You only get one chance at this life, make the best of it.

But back on topic. The other night on the way to bowling, I was stopped at a traffic light at a very busy/dangerous intersection. I had noticed a couple of guys behind me in a pickemup eyeballing the Bird for several blocks. While sitting at the light I caught movement in the rear view. I looked over my shoulder and here were both of them running up behind me. They made several quick trips around the car, said several kind words and quickly darted back to their truck just as the light went green. This vehicle inspires all types of reactions.

Here is one for those of us who are waiting -- A retiree from one of the Ford Assy Plants called a plant manager and asked if he could see about moving his vehicle up a bit in the production scheduling system. He got a call back and was told "Don't even ask!" No one at Ford will mess with the allocation system, it's too sensitive an issue.

I know a dealer can change his orders around if he/she is so inclined but at least no one else can mess with your spot in line. I also suspect, based on the order in which cars are being delivered to dealers, that those dealers that put a high priority (10 to 20) on their orders are getting them slightly ahead of the dealers that put a higher priority number on their units (25 to 40). I'm 7 of 17 with a priority of 25 and will likely be scheduled behind another dealer's 7 of 17 if it carries a higher priority (like a 10 to 20).

I can't blame my dealer for not wasting his higher priority numbers to get Thunderbirds - (They are limited to the mix of high priority vehicles they can order and they may actually need to get a vehicle fast for some other non-Thunderbird customer - totals, commercial customers, etc.)

My dealers number 3 of 17 is scheduled for Jan. 13 so #7 may not get built 'till March. By then I'll be ready to order a dark grey 2003. That might look great with a white top.

My five brothers and sisters called me over the past week to make sure that we were coming to Mom's for Christmas.

Without exception, the "we" included my wife and five kids and my T-Bird!!!

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

Here's one for you.
The other day was a particularly warm one for December and I am driving down highway 17 in North Myrtle Beach in my Red Bird. The top was down. Behind me, coming up fast, is a blond lady in a new Corvette. Both look great! She pulls in right behind me and starts waving. I wave back. She blows her horn and motions for me to pull over. I do so at the first opportunity...thinking perhaps something is amiss with the Bird. She jumps out of her car, runs up to my door and says Hi! I ask if I can help her. She says: "No, you can't do a thing for me! But I had to see this orgasmic car you're driving!!"

-

Well, this is kind of a pre-story. I went to my bank today to arrange a wire transfer for the balance due on my car. The bank manager turned out to be a sports car enthusiast and we got to talking about the new Thunderbird and performance cars in general.

He told me he was saving up to buy himself a Cobra, and I naively asked, "oh, the new Mustang Cobra?" "No!" he glared, "a CSX4000 Shelby Cobra, the only true sports car being built in America today!" He proceeded to educate me about the history of GT350's, the 427 roadster and on and on... At last he allowed as to how the new T-bird had 'pretty classy lines' and he wouldn't mind 'taking one around the track'. I got out of there while I still had the receipt in hand. Thunderbird, let the stories begin.

Well, this is kind of a pre-story. I went to my bank today to arrange a wire transfer for the balance due on my car. The bank manager turned out to be a sports car enthusiast and we got to talking about the new Thunderbird and performance cars in general.

He told me he was saving up to buy himself a Cobra, and I naively asked, "oh, the new Mustang Cobra?" "No!" he glared, "a CSX4000 Shelby Cobra, the only true sports car being built in America today!" He proceeded to educate me about the history of GT350's, the 427 roadster and on and on... At last he allowed as to how "the new T-bird had pretty classy lines" and he wouldn't mind "taking one around the track." I got out of there while I still had the receipt in hand. Thunderbird, let the stories begin.

TR-did you tell him about the Saleen S7 that is being built down there in the LA area?

That baby will eat a Cobra and spit snakeskin boots out the back end!!

biggrin.gif

------------------

Ha, ha! No, I figure everyone's entitled to his own fantasy, and I've already got mine...

p.s. Hey, what about my offer to share a ride with Katie on Thunder? Now there's a fantasy.
smile.gif

Will have to see what happens now-I have a carrier set up for shipping cars back-she may take advantage of that and drive hers out.

I fulfilled my fantasy two years ago-driving a McLaren F1 at Nurburgring. Owning that baby is a whole other fantasy-and will stay that way! We had the Polizei following us everywhere we went!

------------------

Have been waiting along time to get this photo. For you old BON readers, remember when Gary Whitaker said that if he parked a red (or was it black?) 02 Thunderbird next to another color Thunderbird that the men would flock to look at his car and skip the others?
Well, I have the photo now of what it really takes to have a Man Magnet. just look in the "new rides" folder for "man magnet."

The story - Bob C. just drove his new white Thunderbird over to our weekly Saturday breakfast meeting this morning. It was rather cold out and the men were all standing around talking to each other after breakfast as they usually do when one suggested to Bob that he open his hood so he could see the engine. (remember, you have to keep your engine compartment clean for this type of showing). Immediately his car was surrounded by the rest trying to get their peek at the engine. Notice that the red 'bird next to it is getting snubbed. Bob's only had his car a week and a half and has already put 2500 miles on it.

I have learned to just sit and smile to myself at stop lights or you could hold up traffic all day if you react to every comment. Today I heard someone say something just to my right and a little behind. When I heard a second comment, I turned down the music and said "pardon me?" The guy in the full size van with wife and kids said, "my wife wants to trade." I replied " sorry" and we all laughed. As I turned back to pay attention to the light he said, " I meant I'll trade my wife!"

------------------
neiman vin#00035
delivered October 4, 2001

-

Not worth it. Keep the Bird.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/14

Like many, I have lots of stories like...

My neighbor offering his wife and kids for the car.
More thumbs up, grins, and compliments than I can count from people all ages, income levels, locals.
I'm still surprised by the number of people who say my bird is the first one they have seen.

Recently, while on my way to Florida we stopped at the Varsity Drive-In at Atlanta as we passed through town. Every employee grinned from ear to ear as we pulled in. The car-hop said "I would have fought to get this car to wait on. Can I have it for a tip?" While we were there, even employees from the kitchen were coming out to see the car. Had a great time, and the Dog, Rings and Orange Freeze were terriffic!!

A couple of hours into Florida, we stopped to eat. A man came up to me and said "I love your car. We have been traveling with you since Georgia. Have a safe Trip."

Later on I-75 I saw guy in a new red Corvette in my rear view mirror approaching with a blond in the passenger seat. He pulled up along side and matched my speed. I said to my wife "He's not going to pass until I turn and look at him. Watch this." I turned and he and his lady friend grinned from ear to ear, and he gave me the thumbs up. I returned the sign, and they laughed, waved and took off. I think you could have called that a Kodak Moment.

I never saw another 02 Bird on our entire trip, so we got a lot of attention everywhere we went. Where were all of you sun belt bird owners? I hoped to see some of you along the way.

Birdbrain,

You should have posted something about your trip. Some of us would have at least met you at the Varsity and shared a hot dog.

I like to show off my NM T-bird every chance I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back