Just added power steering to a non PS car

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1956 non PS car. I purchased a vintage stock power steering unit built by Ford and refurbished to like new. The problem is that after placing the new unit, it appears that tie rods are too long and wont fit. I have the tie rods screwed all the way in and the rods are still 1 inch to long. I measured the tie rods and they are the exact size as the originals and the drag ling appears to be the same as the original. I am stumped.

Take a look at the arm length on the wheel spindel's and see if that is where the extra length is. Longer spindle arm length will make manual steering easier to turn the steering wheel.

Take a look at the arm length on the wheel spindel's and see if that is where the extra length is. Longer spindle arm length will make manual steering easier to turn the steering wheel.
Did Ford use different spindle arm length between non P/S and P/S cars?
When you say spindle arm, are you referring to part 3130....the semi circle part that connects the spindle to the lower tie rod?

Don't know if they used different ones but if they did their should be a different part number between the power steering cars and the manual steering cars. And yes that is the part I was thinking about.

Back