In the mood for Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading a post or two from
someone(s) who is(are) big Raiders fans. I was just wondering what the sentiment is out there about Gruden leaving and coming to Tampa Bay?

Excitement is high here in TB, we have had an excellent defense for a number of years and now we might be able to figure out how to put some offensive points on the board.

It may have been me Jodrod, I am a big Raiders fan and really hate to see Gruden leave. I really thought this was our year and it may have been if it was not for the blizzard in New England. We were this close.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

I've been a Raider fan since '67, and I am very happy that they let Gruden go. I would have let him go for nothing.I never like his, on the field disposition. I believe he was a young and immature. This maybe what both, TB and Gruden needed, for both of them to get over the hump, Tampa maybe will now score some points and Gruden may get to a Superbowl. In any case, it was time for both of them to move on to something else. Al Davis will find someone to guide Oakland to the playoffs, and from there anything could happen. My life doesn't revolve around football, so what ever happens it's ok with me.

Re Gruden, he's at least an OK coach but what was TB thinking - 2 first rounders, 2 second roudners & $8 M wasn't it?

So basically what Al Davis got was at least 3 impact players, now he needs to find a coach who is within 3 players of being as good as Gruden and he's ahead on the deal.

Tom M

Tom,

We have been searching for a coach for a long time. Tony Dungy was an excellent coach, respected and well liked, but just seemed to be lacking something, we could never get the offense going. Three offensive coordinators in 3 years and the same old offense or lack thereof.

It was pricey but if Gruden can motivate the O and get us past the 1st round playoffs it may have been worth it, only time will tell. Believe me, all in TB have their fingers crossed.

Re: dispositon on the field. I'm a big Steve Spurrier fan and Gurden's on field antics are quite similar so I see this as a positive attribute. You could never tell how Tony Dungy felt by watching him, he was quite staid.

-

Jodrod:

To me it's simple - given the choice between Dungy plus 4 players taken in the first and second round vs. Gruden, I would take Dungy & the players.

Remember in the late eighties/early nineties when Dallas traded Herschel Walker to Minnesota for a raft of draft choices? Didn't they take Aikman, Smith & Irvin with those choices... and go on to win a couple of Super Bowls?

That deal set the model for the value of draft choices in the modern NFL.

I agree TB had to do something but in my opinion they got robbed.

Tom M

I have 4 season tickets for the Chargers in the Gold Club section. Purchased 10 year license four years ago and then sold my company. Not cheap. Includes reserved parking 50 yards from the gate. Anyone interested?

cccarney@*******

Well, Gruden is already putting his mark on the team, it sure is not going to be the Bucs that we have known for the last several years.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens in Washington. Spurrier is collecting a lot of the players from the Gator's '96 championship team. To date I know he has Wuerffel ('96 Heisman) Jaquez Green and Riedel Anthony (wide recievers, both from the Bucs) and Chris Doering (wide reciever). All three (Wuerffel, Green and Anthony) have not had especially good pro careers and Spurrier stated that they all were not being used in their right capacity. I have never been a Redskins fan but I just might find myself cheering for them this year. BTW, Steve coached the Tampa Bay Bandits in the now defunct USFL, where he had a winning team.

-

Sorry, boys and girls, but for me football just isn't the same without the Rams in LA, and the Fearsome Foursome wreaking their usual carnage on the field.

BTW-I didn't realize until just the other day that Alex Karras played for the University of Iowa. Saw a poster showing him, and how he led the Hawkeyes to a Big Ten Championship-that must have been around the time I was born!

------------------
**********, **************************

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back