Improve Gas Mileage & Performance Seafoam

tbird

tbird

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Anyone else here a fan of Seafoam? I know for sure it works great in newer cars, can any of the experience older cars folks weigh in on using it on the vintage Ford Thunderbirds?

If your car is really dirty it may run crazy for the first 100 miles but by the second tank it's always worked like magic!

4.7/5.0 stars on Amazon after over 1,000 reviews. Click here to read more.

Complete List of Performance Upgrades here

• Liquefies gum and varnish deposits or internal engine contaminants
  • 100 percent pure petroleum
seafoam.jpg

Anyone else here a fan of Seafoam? I know for sure it works great in newer cars, can any of the experience older cars folks weigh in on using it on the vintage Ford Thunderbirds?

If your car is really dirty it may run crazy for the first 100 miles but by the second tank it's always worked like magic!

View attachment 549
Swear by it. Have used it in every fill up and gas mileage is about 400 miles per tank on the highway. Beats the Escape by about a hundo. Also run with a 93 octane performance tune. So the 03 bird is quick off the line and a smooth cruiser.

I have 6 cars and I use it in all of them even my lawnmower. When I store my cars for the winter I run the gas tanks down to under 1/4 tank and put a small amount of Seafoam in the tank and drive the cars for a few miles and then shut them down. In the spring they start right up as if I shut them off the day before. Because of the Ethanol in the gas it collects water so by running the tank down you reduce the amount of Ethanol. Even when I go to Florida in the T-Bird I put it in the tank before I leave and by the time I get to Florida I have increased the mileage from 24 mpg to almost 26 mpg. I have been using it for about 10 years now and never had a problem. Great Product.

View attachment 549

I use Seafoam in all my cars and scooters. One can with a fresh fuel up twice a year. Also use it in my oil to help prevent sticking valves when the car gets put in storage. Love this product.

I have 6 cars and they all get the Seafoam treatment even the lawnmower. I have used it for years and haven't had a problem yet. I run the fuel tanks down to under a 1/4 and put in a strong helping of Seafoam in it. Then I drive the cars for a few miles so as the complete fuel system has Seafoam in it. Then I shut them off for the winter, when I start them up in the spring it is like I shut them off the day before. They also make a spray to use in the air intake to clean the manifold and Valves.
When I go to Florida I put it in the T-Bird and by the time I get down south the fuel economy has gone from 24 mpg to 26 mpg. This is a great product and I have all my Hot Rods friends hook on it now.

I've been using Seafoam for years and swear by it. (Years ago my friend/mechanic told me that many times they would use it along with new plugs etc. on customers cars with great results), so I tired using it and have never stopped using it.
I have 11 cars, some carbureted, some fuel injected and it appears to work on all of them, but I have to admit, it seems to work better on fuel injected cars by what appears to be cleaning the small fuel and injector ports out and cleaning the valves of carbon build up.
I add it not only to the gas, but also to the oil. After adding it to the oil and driving about 1000 to 2000 miles miles, I find the oil is already getting dirty, which to me means, it is cleaning the engines internals. I change that oil at no more then 3000 miles. I just took my 94 Roadmaster wagon on a 4000 mile trip and used Seafoam with every other fill up and the difference in performance is unbelievable. My gas mileage also improved by about 3 mpg over the course of the trip. Highly recommend it.

I've been using Seafoam for years and swear by it. (Years ago my friend/mechanic told me that many times they would use it along with new plugs etc. on customers cars with great results), so I tired using it and have never stopped using it.
I have 11 cars, some carbureted, some fuel injected and it appears to work on all of them, but I have to admit, it seems to work better on fuel injected cars by what appears to be cleaning the small fuel and injector ports out and cleaning the valves of carbon build up.
I add it not only to the gas, but also to the oil. After adding it to the oil and driving about 1000 to 2000 miles miles, I find the oil is already getting dirty, which to me means, it is cleaning the engines internals. I change that oil at no more then 3000 miles. I just took my 94 Roadmaster wagon on a 4000 mile trip and used Seafoam with every other fill up and the difference in performance is unbelievable. My gas mileage also improved by about 3 mpg over the course of the trip. Highly recommend it.
About how much do you add to the oil, say in a 2004 T-bird (capy = 6.5 qts) ? Thx, JW in Dixie

I don't know but it should have instructions on the bottle. I have never used it in the oil I've only used in the fuel and have had great results. I have also used the spray in the air intake. Consumers Report have rated it the best on market.

View attachment 549

Bought a can today - poured 6 ozs into the oil and the rest into the gas tank. Can't hurt. Thanks for the tip. JW

I bought the SCT tuner and have had good luck with it. It added 10% more hp and gives my 2005 Bird the added kick in the ass it needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how much sound improvement with the cold air intake?
I don't really understand the SCT devices. Why wouldn't the manufacture set the codes to best out of the box. Are there any negatives to using an SCT, harm to engine etc?

Thanks, sorry to juvenile questions but this is all new to me.

So how much sound improvement with the cold air intake?
I don't really understand the SCT devices. Why wouldn't the manufacture set the codes to best out of the box. Are there any negatives to using an SCT, harm to engine etc?

Thanks, sorry to juvenile questions but this is all new to me.

The air filter in any car is restrictive and needs replaced, cold air intakes just need cleaned and are reusable.

Lots of cars benefit from tuning the car, various reasons including red tape are why many cars have hidden power. The responsiveness and shifting of the car are usually better with a tuner. SCT is a trusted device used on numerous cars. There is a company called Bama Performance that is known for tuning Mustangs.

So I am proceeding to pursue all 3 of these items on my 2002 Tbird. Any idea what the total HP gain is combined? I suspect around 30hp, but I'm just guessing. I have completed the SCT flash and the Borla. I was expecting a little more of a change in sound with the Borla exhaust, but everyone tells me to give them a few hundred miles. Cold air intake will be installed this weekend.
Thanks

My son's Mustang was just tuned with the same programmer, I think it takes at least 50 miles to compute your driving habits when you reprogram the computer. The cold air intake can help a lot with air restriction on how the car responds, and also how it sounds.

Did you have a local shop help you with all this @jimtcrowe ?

Last edited:
Well I have completed the SCT tuning, replaced the filter with a TBC cold air intake (I have the 2002 model and the Typhoon is only 2003 up) and completed the Borla install. :) Car is a bit more peppy haven't really got into it yet. I have less than 1oo miles on the Borlas. I like the sound but I do hope they deepen even more over time, as most reports say they do. I don't know about HP gains but according to the Vendors, I should have gained about 17 HP with the SCT tune, and 13 HP with the Borla and about 5HP with the Cold Air. So on paper I up about 35 HP. Who knows if this is true, but its been fun! :) By the way Thunderbird Concepts has come up with a good alternative on the Cold Air intake for 2002. I wasn't able to replace the existing piping but with the special mounting bracket and brace was able to install a K&N type cold air filter. On the next tank I will check my MPG and see if I have a difference. If there is any right now it is being used up by the throttle punches to hear the Borlas. :)

I love my car and am awaiting your advice

Been thinking on performance upgrades. Deal I'm running into is most quick add on upgrades are for 2003 and on. SCT dose have a tuner for 2002. They say I s good for 12 HP/14 torque. Not sure that much money is worth that smal an increase. Not like your gonna go stomping a Corvett's behind. Was just looking for a little more boost over all.

Back