hard top won't attach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this will help you

Hi and Welcome Thelma04:
Let me post here, some wisdom related to your issue, that I have picked up over the years from another owner. I'll cut and paste below what I had saved on my TBird file:

"For those of you having problems installing the hard top, you can pull the plastic piece off the front of the hardtop to adjust the pins.
Pull the plastic piece straight out from both sides, don't hesitate it is not going to break. After removing the plastic piece, use your hard top tool to loosen the 3 screws just enough to allow the front pins to slide freely. Lift the hardtop onto the car letting the back pins drop in freely, then guide the front pins into the holes on the front windshield. The pins will still be loose, so the top front pins should slide in easily. After your top is secure, retighten the 3 screws on each side and push the long plastic piece back into it's slots. Then follow the instructions for hardtop installation now that you have the top sitting securely on the car.
You really shouldn't ever have to do this again in the following years, because the adjustment you just made should be a perfect fit.
This adjustment works well for all those that may have had a hard top rattle also.

NOTE/HINT:
No picture necessary. The plastic header is where the soft upholstery of the inner roof of the hardtop meets (stops) at the front near the windshield, that's it. Once you've removed it, (it's held in place by sturdy clips) you will see the three screws on the left and right sides you can loosen. Once loosened, you can move the recepters for the single screws into alignment with the single screws that hold the hardtop in place. Tighten the single screws on both sides, then tighten the three screws on both sides. Voila', the hardtop is now custom-fitted to your car."

Although I have never had to do this adjustment, I saved it in the event I bought a Silver top. So, let us know how this works out for you

I have learnt that when you put the hard top back on to locate the rear latches first, lock them down (so you know you have it right but then to release them, then screw the front ones in whilst pulling down very gently on the roof with your free hand out the window. Once that screw on the front is tight lock the rear latch down, then do the same the other side, this works for me.

I had to adjust the rear latch point to make the front align properly. It took a couple adjustments to get it right and now it goes right on every time.

The hard top on my 2004 Tbird rattles on the driver side and the hold screw will not tighten, but I was not aware the screws were adjustable. This is really good info, now I know how to fix my problem. Thanks alot

I am attempting to do the above instructions with the 3 screws and can't get them to budge. Any advice on how to get them to?

I finally was able to get the screws to loosen up. I didn't find there was much if any wiggle room but was able to tilt the bracket forward just a little and it was enough to get the screw engaged.

Thanks for all the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back