Hard top vs soft top only

S
Last seen
Our use for one of these cars will be mostly in the nicer months....but it may get used at times when it is cold outside (20s, 30s, 40s). Hopefully not often, and hopefully never when there is ice/snow/salt on the road unless it is an emergency.

My question is how much warmth or protection from the winter does the hard top offer? Obviously asking because some of these cars don't come with a hard top and I'm wondering if it is a requirement for us, or just a nicety. Part of me doesn't want to store the hard top 9 months out of the year, but if it is helpful we do have the room...sort of. ;)

How many of you wish you had the hard top? How many with it never use it? Or maybe I should rephrase that for people that see a cold winter.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I can't attest to the cold weather warmth, as I have never used mine T-Bird in the winter months. It's definitely NOT a car you would want to drive on ice or snow, that's for sure!! As for the hard top, I can attest to the fact that it is a pain in the a$$ to take off and put back on. It's heavy, bulky, and the weight is all in the hardest part to lift.

Living in Oregon, I use my hardtop 6-7 months of the year. I fits perfect and saves wear and tear on the soft top. I think it also looks unique with the portal window. I recommend getting one.

I live in Massachusetts I put my hard top on at thanksgiving and off in May every year. The cars heater is more than able to beat off the winter chills. However my car is not garaged and the hard top provides the best snow load protection.

Our use for one of these cars will be mostly in the nicer months....but it may get used at times when it is cold outside (20s, 30s, 40s). Hopefully not often, and hopefully never when there is ice/snow/salt on the road unless it is an emergency.

My question is how much warmth or protection from the winter does the hard top offer? Obviously asking because some of these cars don't come with a hard top and I'm wondering if it is a requirement for us, or just a nicety. Part of me doesn't want to store the hard top 9 months out of the year, but if it is helpful we do have the room...sort of. ;)

How many of you wish you had the hard top? How many with it never use it? Or maybe I should rephrase that for people that see a cold winter.
Bill for 4 of the five years I've owned the Bird it has been a daily driver in Ohio come rain, or shine (or snow). To say you wouldn't want to drive it in winter is crazy IMHO. Maybe 4 days in 4 years that I was reluctant to drive it. Hardtop is an acknowledge PITA to remove (unless you have a lift). It is a two person job putting it on the first day after World series conclusion and removal on opening day the next spring. Would not think of driving with out the HT in winter. Gives an entirely different look for 5 months of the year.

As strictly a summer/sunny day driver a HT is not needed. Now that tt is used this way the MSG HT is for sale.

My hardtop has been on the vehicle for a total of 3 days since I acquired the vehicle in 2014. Live in Michigan and would not think of driving it in the winter with our snow, grit and salt. Otherwise, the soft top is up only when my wife is cold. I thought the hard top was a good idea since first wanting the new Bird in 2002, but now, with experience, -- waste of effort.

While the hardtop has some neat features (including more "headroom" than the soft top), I'd say only get it for the cosmetics. You can get by in every sort of weather without it and you won't notice not having it.
The portholes are "cool", but hoisting the hardtop around is a "pain".

My hardtop has been on the vehicle for a total of 3 days since I acquired the vehicle in 2014. Live in Michigan and would not think of driving it in the winter with our snow, grit and salt. Otherwise, the soft top is up only when my wife is cold. I thought the hard top was a good idea since first wanting the new Bird in 2002, but now, with experience, -- waste of effort.
Would you be willing to part with it?

I kept mine on here in Waterford, Mi on our 2002 Inspiration Yellow for the fall weather, then parked in it the garage. Got a ceiling mount for it and it has sat there sine 2005. I would hold on to the hardtop. Might bring you more money should you decide to sell it.

We just got our "new" '02 bird last week. I like the idea of the HT, changes the look of the car and adds protection for the soft top. My wife will be using the Tbird as a a daily driver throughout the year, so the HT was a must. New Jersey winters can be bad, but we all used to drive rear wheel drive cars before fwd was the norm, just have to take those turns easier, and we have had a convertible forever, never had an issue with heat. Problem is where and how to store the HT in the summer.

Other than for it's uniquely appealing look, the hardtop has little to justify its inconvenience. Having said that, if up to me it would stay on all the time. Fortunately I find all three of the Bird's configurations attractive.Yeah, maybe it extends soft-top life a bit or provides a fraction of additional Winter warmth - but lacking a hard top wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I was in the market. Just sayin . . .

This si my second 02 Thunderbird. The 1st one A inspiration yellow had a hard top and I like the look, but it seemed every time I put it on I wanted to put the top down. The one I have no a torch red 02 does not have a hard top so that solved that problem. I do live in South Texas so I do not have the hard winters to worry about. My wife said if she wanted a car with a top we would have bought a sedan. OK then.

My wife said, "if she wanted a car with a top we would have bought a sedan."

Aaahh, Wifely Wisdom, so sharp, concise and to the point. Gotta love it! Could we survive without it?

Back