FS: 1966 Thunderbird Convertible

maxismile
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello Thunderbird enthusiasts! My nicely restored and well maintained 1966 convertible is for sale in McKinney TX, 75071 (Dallas area). I am asking $35,500 but am open to offers. Please PM with questions and I'll be happy to speak with you.

Summary:

Wimbledon white over Ivy Yellow (interior color code L, green/gold) with power black top. 390ci, 4 bbl, C6 3 speed automatic transmission. Power windows, power steering, power driver’s seat, power brakes (front disc, rear drum), AC (updated to R134A), swing-away steering wheel, AM/FM stereo with rear speaker. An upgraded (larger) front sway bar has been installed, as well as rear sway bar. All chrome shines as new. Convertible top is in excellent condition and operates flawlessly. Documentation includes factory build sheet (partial), copy of dealer invoice, owner’s manual, titles from previous owners. Car was recently inspected and appraised by an independent and certified appraiser and rated as “excellent” in all categories. The car presents in person as it does in the pictures.

Additional details:

A major restoration was performed under previous ownership beginning in the early 2000s. Factory color was Honey Dew (yellow) but color changed to more desirable (in my opinion) Wimbledon White at time of restoration. There is absolutely no hint of original color in engine bay, door jambs, trunk, etc.

Motor was rebuilt in 2008 at 54.6K miles (have receipt) to include 428 crankshaft, new pistons, rings, bearings, lifters, Cobra Jet valves, bronze valve guides and performance springs. New exhaust manifolds, water and fuel pumps, flywheel and harmonic balancer were added as well. The car currently has 56.1K miles on the car, resulting in ~1.5K miles on engine rebuild.

A new power steering pump and hoses were installed in April 2021.

Completely new wiring harness and solid-state relays for the power activated convertible top mechanism was installed in 2018. The wiring and relay kit were sourced from ***************** in Wisconsin, which is a well-known source of Thunderbird parts and knowledge amongst Thunderbird enthusiasts. Within the past 2 months I have replaced rear deck and top pistons, hydraulic pump, all hydraulic hoses and solenoid valves. The top mechanism operates flawlessly. As many of you know, if you are looking at a 1964-66 Thunderbird convertible, you will want to ensure the top mechanism has been sorted, as they are complicated mechanisms and expensive to repair and rebuild.

I have videos of power top, electric windows and sequential tail light operation available to interested parties.

The C6 transmission was rebuilt in December 2020 (have receipt). Also, in December 2020, aftermarket exhaust “glass packs” which were installed by a previous owner were removed and replaced with new resonators. The car runs, shifts and sounds like it did in 1966.

After the restoration was completed in 2007, the Thunderbird travelled the Vintage ****************************** (****) circuit. According to previous ownership, the car has been certified as a Senior Concours since 2009. The last judged event my car participated in was the Senior 2013 **** International Show in Houston TX, where is took 1st Place, Senior category (scored 292.5 points, have judges’ sheets). Over the past few years, the car has been driven sparingly by two additional owners. Reason for selling - I'm simply looking to move on to another classic vehicle. Life is short, my list of cars I'd like to own is long and my garage space is limited such that I can have but one hobby car at a time. I've got much more into the car than the asking price and would like to see it's next owner be a Thunderbird enthusiast.

Thanks for reading this far and please send me a PM if you'd like to discuss further.
IMG_3822.jpgIMG_3825.jpgIMG_3827.jpgIMG_3828.jpgIMG_3833.jpgIMG_3836.jpgIMG_3592.jpgIMG_3595.jpgIMG_3597.jpgcenter column 3.jpgdash 1.jpgdash 3.jpgengine Pic 1.jpgengine Pic 2.jpgengine Pic 3.jpgIMG_3811.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Back