Front End Cover Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
I will be taking delivery of a "triple-black" the week of May 6th and am undecided about a front-end cover (bra). Are the obvious advantages--protection from stone chips, bug splatters, etc. enough to offset the following possible downsides?
1) possibility of the paint fading at different rates when part of the hood is covered?
2) moisture problem under the cover, possibly causing discoloration?
3) with limited cargo space, where would you put a wet cover to dry out when on a trip?
4) hassle of putting it on and off (I'm sure this gets easier with practice).
5) is there a possiblilty of engine over-heating due to the cover?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I won't get one because they are unsightly, rub paint, collect moisture and are a hassle to install and store.

Having said that, the first stone chip I get will force me to reconsider my position. Duane

Originally posted by sauernote:
Are the obvious advantages--protection from stone chips, bug splatters, etc. enough to offset the following possible downsides?
1) possibility of the paint fading at different rates when part of the hood is covered?
2) moisture problem under the cover, possibly causing discoloration?
3) with limited cargo space, where would you put a wet cover to dry out when on a trip?
4) hassle of putting it on and off (I'm sure this gets easier with practice).
5) is there a possiblilty of engine over-heating due to the cover?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above?

I have a front end cover, there are several threads on this with differing opinions.Here is mine:
1-I seriously doubt fading is an issue, unless you intend to just leave it on all of the time. I think most of us that have chosen the mask over the 3M permanent clear plan to use them on trips only.
2-Moisture can be a problem, but with reasonable care (ie:don't leave wet cover on the car to dry in the sun)that isn't an issue with me.
3- It takes very little space, really not an issue.
4-I put mine on for only the second time today for 200 mile round trip. Took me just under 10 minutes. Hassle? Yes, but well worth the protection from bugs and ROCK chips.
5- Non-issue. Grille portion has a well ventilated mesh strip.

For me(and a lot of others) there wasn't a question of protecting the front end, it was a matter of chosing HOW to do that.

Sauernote-

I've had a bra on my black '93 SC300 for 9 years now, and there is absolutely no paint fade, rubbing, moisture or any of the pitfalls you mention. Also keep in mind that this was a fair weather car only up until about two months ago. I bought the bra for the T-Bird, but have yet to use it. I couldn't use it for the 350 mile trip home from the dealership as it was a rainy day when I picked up my car (that just about killed me). So far no permanent scars to speak of on either car.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

KB

I had the bra on my car from October till February. There were no marks, scuffs, fading, or any indication that it was there over the 7000 miles it was in place. I took it off at one of our Atlanta T-Bird Group meets and will be putting it back on for the Great Georgia Rally in May. I highly recommend it for protection of the front end paint, and, I think it looks good too.

I took close-up pictures of my invisible bra (X-pel) on yellow bird but can't see it. I just love it. Got a laugh when my client went out to eye my new car and I had to point out the bra. He asked for info to inquire about having it installed on his Rolls Royce. This bra is fabulous. And you never have to take it off. Wax right through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back