Factory Radio Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
D
Last seen
My friend has a 96 Thunderbird and he is trying to remove the factory radio. He recently got a Haynes repair manual, but still can't perform the task. The manual says you have to remove the instrument cluster bezel before removing the radio. The manual has only a picture that doesn't help him to find the ICB. Wondering does anyone know where the ICB is or have easy method to remove factory radio.

Thanks in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There are a few things to consider when replacing a factory radio. I'm by no means an expert, but have done this project a couple times.

The first, is if the aftermarket radio is a direct fit for the factory radio bracket. If so, the bezel may not have to be removed (but in all honesty, I'm not that familiar with the '96/'97 interior, so I really don't know).

Unless Ford changed the design in '96, the factory radio itself should have 4 small holes basically near the corners of the radio itself. These are the holes for a special tool to remove the radio. The radio is held in by a pair of springs, one on each side, and this tool will spread those springs and lock them so that the radio can slide out.

A new bracket may be required for the radio, but I have no way of knowing that. In addition, an adapter wiring harness is required to adapt the factory speaker harness to the aftermarket radio. These generally cost $25-$30 if you don't already have one.

I generally just take my car in and have a stereo shop do it for me. Around here, I'm only charged about $25 to have a radio swapped (plus any parts required), so to me, it's well worth the money. I know it's done right and if something doesn't work, I have a place to take it to in order to get fixed, generally on their dime, not mine.

Not sure that this helps, but I hope it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back