EZTop

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not concerned about not knowing how to operate it. The EZTop website says that it recommends two persons for the manual model. It only endorses one person installation/removal for the electric model and I was wondering if those who had these lifts already agreed.

Looks like I will be calling Emil at EZ Top pretty soon. The weather here is beautiful, so we decided to take the h'top off for the first time. Me, with three back operations, and my wife, with a height of barely 5', could not do it. We were luckly to get it back in place.

Geenwr & or Bigmac; I have just ordered an electric lift from topcap...how do they work for you...easy? one person? install easy? you know, all the dumb questions one usually asks. It's like waiting for the Bird all over again!!!!

Panz, I don't have the car YET. Should be here anytime now HOLDING MY BREATH! But I do have the top cap elect. hoist. I have 10ft. open beem ceilings with 2-10 rafters. I had on problem installing the hoist except for threading the rope. I finally figured that part out. There is a 1/4-20 nut on the bottom of the back swing arm that is used to lock the arm in place. BE CAREFULL, DO NOT force the threaded locking pin into it. Mine had some weld splatter in the threads. I just ran a 1/4-20 tap through and it was fine. The hoist is a little fast in speed. May have to jog it when sitting top back on car.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/18 Delivery Date SOON!!

Panz, I have used my lift one time to check it out. It is a manual lift so I can control the speed with ease. Make sur you adjust the ropes so that the lift is level. My rear rope was shorter than the front rope, so I had to pull the front rope thriugh the fitting about 10 inches. Let me know if you have questions about operation after you get it installed.

------------------
Bill's Red and White #4359

greenew, my instructions said to adjust the front of the lift 4 to 6 in above level from the back of the lift. I don't have the car yet but I ask my brother to hange from it while I made the adjustment. Dave I think told me that this would work to get it pretty close. My brother weights in at about 230lbs. The hoist is good for close to 400lbs. I'll wait and see.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/18 Delivery Date SOON!!

I would agree with having the front higher than the rear. The time I picked the top, I had the front lower that the raer. I had to set it down on temporary supports and level in order to set back on the car. Having the rear lower might make it easier to set down.

------------------

For anyone who has an EZTOP installed, how much space does it take from the ceiling to the bottom of the car top. I have 24 inches between my garage door and the ceiling. My question is with the top up and stored, will my door clear the car top? John

------------------
Blue/Blue Prem. w/full accent
In my Garage as of 1/25 #6333 LIC: BLU TB

My lift is mounted to pick the top with the car backed into the garage. The lift and the top are behind the garage door in the up position. So the distance between the ceiling and the garage door does not come into the equation.

------------------

Bill, the next time you have the top off, could measure the distance from the rafter/roof were the pully is mounted to the bottom of the car top. I could, and will probably have to back my car in and mount a lift in front of the garage door, but I would like to keep that area clear if at all possible. I haven't ordered a lift yet and will wait a month or so before taking my top off and leaving it off, for it is still frosty/raining and cold in my area. John

------------------

Howlee, I do not know when I will lift again, but I measured the top and the position of the lift. I think the minimum space would be 27 to 28 inches.
Gobird has mounted his lift, he might be able to confirm. as soon as he gets his car.

------------------

Howlee, I was also thinking of overhead storage for the hardtop. My garage has open rafters, so there's plenty of clearance, but it might be better to store the top vertically with the provided carrier and cover. E-Z Top is, as they say, hardtop safe to prevent damage to the moulding and warpage, but the supports could leave impressions on the roof liner after an extended period. I have a sheltered nook that's just right for parking the cart, so I guess it depends on your available space.

Regarding topdown weather - must disagree. Today was absolutely perfect for cruising in the Bay Area, so I drove to Pigeon Point Lighthouse for some photos. I felt very comfortable in shirtsleeves and regretted I couldn't go top down [no lift yet]. There were lots of convertibles in open air mode as everyone took advantage of a rare winter day. I drove the La Honda road which has a 10-mile stretch of S-curves. A lot of cars were all over the road, but I was impressed with the Bird's effortless handling - like riding the proverbial rail. Also got a kick when I stopped at a drive-through and had everyone crowding around the checkout window for a better view of the new Thunderbird. It's just a great feeling!
smile.gif

TR C and others who have helped with the measurment. i guess i will have to just back the bird in and lift it that way. I have plenty of room that way, but was hoping to really keep it out of the way.
Also, TR the weather was great sunday for a ride with the top down, I did get my to off for the first time to check for water, found non, but on Monday the weather was a little different up here, with snow on the ground for the first time in many a year.

------------------

Yes, it did cool down right quick. We had snow on Mt. Hamilton south of San Jose. Some of the trees here have already blossomed. Maybe it's a sign there will be an early Spring. Hoping for good cruising weather on our meet in Santa Barbara next month. Are you coming, John?

Took the top off this afternoon after washing the Bird. Measured the distance from ceiling to the bottom of suspended top. It was 26.5 inches.
Put the boot on for the first time, no real problem, snapped 4 of the five snaps. Took a tour around town, 54* with bright sunshine. That was fun, fun, fun----.
Then put convertible top up for the 1st time. Took another drive to see the difference in noise level. It does not have as much sound deading as the hard top. But still no wind noise.

------------------

Greenwr, I am glad that you posted the distance from ceiling to the bottom of your hard top. I was hopping that it would be under 24 inches. No problem, i will just have to back the car in. i have ordered my EZTop today and will look forward to putting it up so i can have a place to keep my top out of the way. What is the average time it takes from order to you get it? The E-mail I got, said about 8 weeks to build it. Hope it is sooner. John

------------------

Got my EZTop, will take pic and let you know how it mounted and how easy/hard it is to operate it manually. It will take a while, I am still on Crutches, so I will have to take a management stance and supervise. HA HA

Emil with EZ Top will install
an electric model this Saturday.
Will take some pics and let you know
how everything looks. Understand that
the design has a few recent and minor changes.

-

There are 2 different brands that are being taled about. I have the Top/CAP EZ lift by James Motor Sports, the other is just EZLift
I ordered in December and it only took a couple of weeks to get here. Since then the orders by be out running his capacity.
Car sure looks different with the black converible top instaed of the White hard top!!!

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back