EZTop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by yellowwing1:
Just got off the phone (last evening) with Emil from EZ Top.

New to this group and interested in hoists.
I looked at web site for topcaplift and couldn't get a good idea of ease of use, quality, etc. Does EZ Top have a web site?
How to contact them.

I have yellow/yellow premium #8414 alledgedly on its way to San Jose.

I posted pictures of the installation of my lift on the new thunderbirddata web site. They are in the accesories album. If you have questions, you can e-mail me.

------------------
Bill's Red and White #4359

Mothers garage ceiling is vaulted
up to the peak, like in a living room.

In looking at your photos is the black bar
the only part that attaches to the ceiling.

If the EZ top requires a flat ceiling, out
of luck. Could use my garage but looks
like would interfere with operation of the
garage door to leave hanging all the time.

greenwr, I ordered my top cap last week from a guy named Bruce I think.He said I should get it sometime this week. After seeing your pics. I was wondering how hard it is to get the straps under the top to lift it off. PS. I ordered the elect. one, looks like yours is the man.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/14

-

GREENWR how do I acess you pictures on you lift installation

The black bar is the only thing that attaches to the ceiling. They make one that is for a open rafter ceiling that does not have the support bar. The spacing between the lift points is critical for the correct pick.
The straps are the secondary lifing point, the primary picks are the front and rear lifts. You release the top (front screws and back pin release) then slip a rolled towel under each side , attach the front and rear lift points. I then lifted each side just enough to slip the straps over the pins. One person can lift corners or front by himself. First time I picked, I did not have the top level (front to back) and I had to set down on supports and level the lifting bar before I could reinstall on the car. If you have additional questions, e-mail me and I will give you my phone and we can talk about the lift.

------------------

greenwr, I just got my top lift. Don't have car yet so I could use a measurement. Starting from the bottom of the back window or lift point to the very back of the car. With this I think I can install the lift without the car. I can lay out the lenght of the car on the floor and subtract the window to back bumber lenght to find where I need to mount the hoist bar and the elect hoist.
Thanks for any info you could give on this.

------------------
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

Jeff,

I don't know about the other lift systems, but with the EZtop, the answer to your question is YES! The top should be removed from the car with the car facing out of the garage. You then turn the car around and the top is suspended over the hood of the car with plenty of clearance.
wink.gif
Hope this explanation helps.

KB

-

The distance from the back of the top, (lift point) to the rear of the car is 44+ inches. With an eight foot ceiling, you can park either forward or backward under the top while on the lift. I think this shows in the pictures at newbirddata site.

------------------

Just for comparison - I'm not trying to promote it - here is some mounting information I got from Bruce McMorris of TopCapLift
Regarding the points in the ceiling that the lift attaches. After you
back the car into the garage you want to be able to position your body
behind the rear of the car 15-18 inches so you can operate the manual
lift. Our lifts are 2 line lifts so it goes up level and doesn't turn
about one point. The farthest attachment to the ceiling is a point a few
inches in front of the port holes on the top. The rear line is 39 inches
behind the front or just rear of the top. The farthest extension of the
top lift is at the front edge of the top itself. No one has ever had a
problem getting our lift installed. We have 2 versions one for open
rafter garage and one for finished ceiling. The manual lift is very easy
to use and a number of women have bought our lift to use without any
help. The electric lift of course takes no strength and can be operated
from the side of the car. We have sold about 40 of the lift for the 2002
TBird and we have had very positive feed back about how it worked.

Is anyone besides me a little worried about one of these lifts dropping a very expensive top on a very, very expensive car?

That has been my sticking point on getting one till now. I figure if accidents can happen it would probably happen to me.

Paul

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

2k2bird, Hay you only go round once in life so take a chance. Just kidding. But from what I can see the topcap is set up, if you have it attached properley to the top you can't drop it. Have more trust in the lift then I do with my wife on the other side trying to lift it off.

greenwr, thanks for that info. should be able to install now even without the car. If you get the elect. one like mine the hoist also mounts to the rafters in back of the bar.

------------------
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

Thanks. Does anyone know if one person removal and installation of the top is possible only with the electric model, or can it also be done with the manual model? The website says it's not recommended with the manual model.

NMJeff I purchased and installed the EZ TOP hoist,and it is very easy for one person to take the top on and off with their electric model.If you have any questions call EZ TOP and ask for Emil he was very helpful when I was trying to decide

I have only had mine off one time, but the reason I purchased a lift is so I could do it by myself. My wife has back trouble and I did not want her trying to lean over and lifting. I have the Top/Cap EZ Lift and had no problem. Most of us car nuts have the mechanical ability, so I think 99% of the people could operate by themselves.

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back