Eliminating the smog kit from a 64-66

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1966 hardtop with a 390 in it - looking to eliminate the smog system on it and know I will need a new bracket and pulley. Was wondering if anyone has done this and if they could recommend a good kit?

I haven't seen a thermactor exhaust system in person as they were only required in California in 66 while the rest of the states were waiting for a mandate. I don't know if there's a kit but the stock setup from anywhere else should bolt right up. Good luck!

I've figured out how to bypass or eliminate nearly everything except for the smog pump as the pulley on it allows the belt to run the A/C pump too.

I had the same problem. I ended up gutting the smog pump of all the "pump" parts so now it functions as only a pulley.
I plugged all the exhaust manifold holes with set screws with allen head, I was able to run them in flush with the manifolds and they look super clean.
There is a way to do it right but my car also has AC and it was too complicated to source all the correct parts.
I would still like to get the 49 state set up though.

The heading says "64-66." The only plumbing mandated on these cars is the PVC valve, replacing the crankcase breather. That's a good thing; keep it in place. The state of California began mandating EGR-type components for 1966; which I'm sure is what the subject is about. Removing it should only be a matter of replacing the related components with those from a non-California car. Next thing, is the car still in California, or some metro area? I don't know how the laws work, or if this car is old enough to be exempt. This crap eventually became nationwide, and I remember living in the DC area and having to get emissions-inspections for my cars. (This was in Woodbridge, Virginia, Prince William County.) Sarasota, Florida -- never had to deal with it. Regardless, that's one thing I like about having a 64 -- nobody can tell me what kind of carburetor I can or can't put on the car.

In CA, smog tests not required on ‘75 and older cars.

I had the same problem. I ended up gutting the smog pump of all the "pump" parts so now it functions as only a pulley.
I plugged all the exhaust manifold holes with set screws with allen head, I was able to run them in flush with the manifolds and they look super clean.
There is a way to do it right but my car also has AC and it was too complicated to source all the correct parts.
I would still like to get the 49 state set up though.

Thanks for the info! Where you able to take the cylinder out inside? I can't seem to get it out and it's rubbing metal to metal inside.

Where I live in Pennsylvania inspection is visual only for anything. Doesn’t matter what. Though most places won’t touch anything with OBD1 systems. They just get visual inspection and gas cap.

Back