EGR valve - how hard to change? 2004 3.9 V8

JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Engine lite again so I raised the hood and took a look at the valve. Looks simple except for a tube connection that requires a +- 1" open end wrench, which I don't have. Probably metric. Anyone done one? Thx

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Engine lite again so I raised the hood and took a look at the valve. Looks simple except for a tube connection that requires a +- 1" open end wrench, which I don't have. Probably metric. Anyone done one? Thx
Its a bit of a job but it will require two people, at least it did when I did it. There isn't much clearance but it can be done. I had to run out to Home Depot to buy a wrench as well. Good luck.

Thanks. What size is that wrench? Found a video of the procedure online:

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the video again and he used a 1-1/6" wrench. Yeah, like every set comes with one of those. Reminds me of the 21/32" required for the flat-head Ford V-8 rod nuts.

Got 'er done by myself. It is just barely doable, space-wise. Borrowed a wrench from the local railroad shop. On the final tighten the wrench broke a plastic tube fitting on another gadget that they put in the path, assuring that a do-it-yourselfer would surely break it off. The tube piece disappeared into oblivion, of course, so I fabbed one and attached it with hot glue. Started the motor and the danged check engine light is still on. Will drive and use the code reader to try to clear it.
It's always something. :(

Back