Disc brake conversion on my 63 Tbird.

Cybrinsanity

Cybrinsanity

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So when I purchased my 63 Tbird, from the previous owner, he was in the middle of converting the old drum brakes to disc, by using a 78 LTD's Disc brakes, and being that it has a bit longer lower control arm, will I need to replace the strut rods and stabilizer bar as well as the tie rod? Sorry I'm very new to cars and am just trying to learn as much as possible. thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

So when I purchased my 63 Tbird, from the previous owner, he was in the middle of converting the old drum brakes to disc, by using a 78 LTD's Disc brakes, and being that it has a bit longer lower control arm, will I need to replace the strut rods and stabilizer bar as well as the tie rod? Sorry I'm very new to cars and am just trying to learn as much as possible. thank you.
I'm confused. From what you said I assume you are changing out the lower control arms in this mod you are doing. If you put longer control arms on the car isn't it going to change your ability to adjust camber when doing a front end alignment? Many conversion kits I have seen do not require changing the control arms (upper or lower). They install a spindle for the disc conversion and move forward from there.

hmm, ok, well like I said I really don't know anything about cars and am learning as I go, The guy I bought the car from simply said that he was going to do a disc brake conversion with the 78 LTD's and that it would be longer and all I would need to do is redo the brake lines, but maybe I shouldn't even bother using these LTD's and just get a new kit?

I'm not exactly certain of what differences there would be between the two different suspensions. I would think if you put on longer lower arms you would have to do something with the upper control arms in order to keep the front end in specification for alignments. If you have the $ and can afford a kit it is the way that I would go. Someone else has already made all the calculations, designed and manufactured a working system. You might not have to change anything and bolt on a bracket that will adapt you across into a disc brake system.

Someone who knows more than I can probably tell you if all you need to do is change out the Thunderbird spindles for the LTD spindles and you would have a working system. Another thing is that I'm not sure which master cylinder you have. I would think with drum brakes you have a single reservois cylinder. For disc brakes it should be changed out to a dual reservois system and you would have to make sure the brake pressures are correct (front versus rear). Again, if you go for a kit someone has already done all the design work. Take a look at the kits at thunderbirdbrakeparts.com. You can see the parts you will need to complete your conversion. You might have everything you need already (off the LTD).

If you have the full braking system from the LTD you could probably install it onto your car and it would work just fine. I would try to avoid changing your upper and lower control arms so you can still align the front end. Another thing is that your wheels may not fit with the assembly from the LTD. Just remember that the system was designed to work as a complete unit. The master cylinder, front discs and rear drums (wheel cylinder size is important) all work in unison with proper pressure applied to each caliper and wheel cylinder to make the brakes function correctly. If you do not have the complete system but you can verify that brake pressures can be proper at front to rear ratios then you'll be good to go (or stop - LOL). That was why I originally said my preference would be to spend the money on a kit that is made for the car. It has been calculated, designed and manufactured to be a properly functioning (safe) braking system.

you can find some information regarding conversions at this web site:
http://www.fordthunderbirdforum.com/vbulletin/****************?f=24

well that didn't work! try the square birds web site. square birds.org (one word)

Back