Dead Battery

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things:
I believe Ford is the only source for these batteries since there is a drain tube on the battery.
2nd, there was an issue with the rear defogger in the past. If it was not turned off when you parked the car, it STILL drained the battery. There was a Ford fix for this, you may want to see if it was done on your car.

Instead of a trickle charger, a battery tender is better for the battery. Do a search on either and you'll find thet're aroung $60.00 These will not over charge but rather maintain a battery at the level it should be

Last edited:
For any of you that have battery issues on a new '05, here's what one owner did:
"Ford replaced the battery in my '05 because it is still under warranty. In my case, rather than recharging the battery (which I actually did once), I called for a free jump from road service, then drove it directly to the dealer. When they checked it, they said because there were so few miles on the car, it must have been a bad battery to begin with. Anyway, they gave me a new one with no problems. They don't want to have to keep sending someone out to jump it for you, so that might be your solution - call road service the next time so it's on their records."
Probably not a bad idea for those who have reoccuring issues

As our Birds age, I thought I'd post some replacement battery info from the Motorcraft website:

According to Motorcraft website, these are the part numbers:

2002-2005 (before 1-10-05) Battery to ground cable WC95703

2005 after 1-10-05.............Battery to ground cable WC95952

2002-2005........................Junction to starter cable WC95702

2002-2005........................Battery, 100 month wet. BXT66-650
650 CCA -reserve Min = 130 tested tough Max 36 month Free Replacement

Last edited:
Need to have dealer replace

I have had my tbird 3 years and it starts every time even when I am out of town for two weeks. I may just replace it because I have never had a battery last three years in the Texas heat.

I'm not sure what is the cause of your drain. I have parked my tbirds for several months and they start right up. Perhaps you have a trunk light that stays on even with the trunk closed.

My 2002 bird with 144500 miles on it has never given me a problem starting, even though I only drive it once a month maybe. I bought it about 18 months ago with 144350 and still has the battery it came with. After reading lots of messages on this blog, I think something is draining your battery.

If my 04 sits for ten days it won't start. Checked the draw sitting and all off (that I know of) = 600mA. Float charger solves problem.

This problem is ancient, but with a 9 month old super duper battery of countless watt-hours and guaranteed 3 years, left my 04 bird in closed, 50 degree garage for 10 days because I am moving. Thunk would not unlock. Jumped it, ran for 20 mins, left out in 50 degree weather, and it would not grunt. Called my battery guy and he said to bring it and he would charge it. I said I will jump it again and drive it for 30 mins. That has always worked. No, he says driving /alternator will not charge the batt - has to be charged with a charger. I say he is nuts, watts are watts whatever the source. Have not had time to run it but what do you say??

I should have mentioned - moved, no120v avail. I'm in North Alabama, could use solar. The resting draw (see previous) is 600 mA, so a 750 CCA battery should
preform for 52 days. Check my math. Think my batt is NG. Cheers all

Today, took the 2004 to the battery dealer - plugged in new batt at no charge. Hope this one has more bottom! Cheers

Got my TBird in December and love it. Only problem is when it sits for more than 8-10 days, the battery goes dead! Dealer said this is normal for any car and that it should be started every couple of days. Questions:
1) has anyone else experienced this problem? and 2) does anyone else use their TBird as a "nice weather car" and let it sit for longer than a week - with or without problems? The dealer is trying to convince me that this is not a mechanical problem and there is nothing wrong with the car, but I don't buy it. I've always had a third car that sat for long periods and they've always started right up -- until this one.

Gary

Gary:
I don't think this is normal at all...but I live in Phoenix...our battery problems arise out of extreme-heat issues, not like what you're dealing with in NJ.

However, even with that I can't see any reason why a car sitting for a week would have battery problems...does your car sit outside, or is it in a garage?

All our vehicles (always garaged) have sat for weeks and started right up...perhaps someone who's owned one for a while can give you some input...I don't take possession until tomorrow...but still doesn't sound right.
Jim
I live in Phoenix and every 3 years replace and use a battery tender now to keep a full charge as retired and don't drive much with COVID going on........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back