Dead Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battery Testing

The newest method of testing a battery is conductance testing. You need to input some info into the meter like battery type, cold cranking amps, etc. When the tester shows cca less than 80% of spec, it's time to replace the battery.

Jim

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi to everyone,
There are lots of useful comments in this forum. I thought I'd add some of my thoughts ( as an old aircraft maintainer ).
The battery may read 12 volts even when it is weak. Voltage is not the issue here. Current is the issue. When the car is off everything should be OFF with exception of a few minor current drains for the clock, etc. The designer takes this into account. If you have a short, it will drain the battery very quickly...usually a bare wire somewhere, touching the frame ( aka GROUND ) and you may have sparks and...well!
Little things like sticking relays manifest themselves in funny ways.
If you were closer to Seattle I'd pop over and help you troubleshoot the problem.
Seems that your local dealer either doesn't care about service or his mechanics need some training. You would believe that after the new Bird has been around for four model years that he has one guy who knows the car.
Sounds like a sticky relay is the culprit, allowing a load (lamp, heating element, etc.) to drain the battery. The bigger the load, the faster the drain. The dealer should have no trouble testing current drain and probably has a spec on it.
When storing a vehicle ( more than one month ) the battery should be disconnected or you should use a trickle charger, or George's suggestion of the battery tender.
Hope this helps. Take a big stick with you the next time you visit the dealer!!
Putt :cool: :cool:

The comments on this issue are really good. A short would blow the fuse to the circuit and if it is not a protected circuit, start a fire. It's funny that only some cars are experiencing the problem. A simple test would be to use a volt/ohm meter with capability of measuring current. Remove the ground cable to the battery and put one end of the amp meter lead to the battery cable and the other end onto the ground post of the battery. This will now measure the current draw. If it shows a negatiuve figure or minus sign in the display, reverse the meter leads. It should show a very small figure, like less than one amp. I figure with the clock circuit and radio/computer memory, the draw should be about 1/2 amp or 500 mili amp. Oh, don't forget to disconnet the trunk light bulb because that will increase you reading. Try the reading with the doors open or headlights on. You can see the current draw on the battery. (my electronics degree has paid off a little-didn't learn it in the police academy)

Happy testing.

Ticket Ted
2003 Whisper White/White top- Premium red/black interior

(

Ticket Ted,
Great info. There should be a spec at Ford for normal current draw, but I agree with your estimate.
So you have a EE and you became a policeman. I have a number of friends who have left the aerospace business to do other things. I'm still plugging away but in sales/marketing.
I apoligize for straying off message.
Putt
2003 Metalic Gray/Black/Black Ink

I join the problem club...

I had to go on a business trip..
Left the '05 in the garage, softop up, windows down, the phone charger unplugged (turned off, I have a little add on 3-way 12v splitter) and on return 7th day, the lights were dim , the wheel groaned into place and it clicked on attempt to crank. I charged for a couple of hours.. and it cranked and ran like new... time for a joyride with my wife... beautiful partially cloudy night, perfect for country stargazing. Within 2 days, it was in the shop, and they found a "safety switch" that is supposed to preserve enough juice for a cold crank and start that was defective. That was Friday. It is Sunday afternoon, 75F and my daughter from college wanted to go for a ride. It IS DEAD.. nothing, no lights, no nothing. The battery tests at 4.7 V.
Thank God I'm not on call or anything today, tomorrow is another story.
I replaced my '90 Buick Reatta (fully equipped, as you know) which was subject to my same behavior (parked for days, ran short hops to the hospital, etc for 15 years). I only dealt with the battery when I had 'em prophyllactically replace the battery on the 5 year anniversaries. My Daughters' two neobugs get left outdoors for days/weeks and run good, without the use of that solar charger. IT IS NOT NORMAL for it to go dead in a few days, even month or so.
Something is screwed up.

seem to have solved my problem

I was talking with the head service tech...he said that the T-bird can sit for a long time and not sell, then poof...all of 'em go one weekend.
Mine was built in second week of August 2004, I bought it week before Christmas (I peeked under the tree)
Even with the careful recharging that the dealership does...it just isn't the same as regular service..and they have to replace most batteries...with all the electronics in cars nowadays
(This explains why the Pinto I use every two years has a satisfactory battery MOST of the time...next to NO electronics)

...to the trekkies...ever heard of saurium krellide batteries? we need something like them, not an engineers fantasy.

Battery Drain

We have experienced the same problem as Gary's. If the car is left unused in our garage for 2-3 weeks (we are away on vacation), then the battery dies. The dealer has given us our 4th battery since we bought the car in 2004.

I tried the trickel charger the last time and it still died!!

We have experienced the same problem as Gary's. If the car is left unused in our garage for 2-3 weeks (we are away on vacation), then the battery dies. The dealer has given us our 4th battery since we bought the car in 2004.

I tried the trickel charger the last time and it still died!!

I don't think trickel charge will solve the problem.Since the dealer has replaced your battery 4 times, that indicates that there is another issue and it's not the battery.He needs to find the cause/drain.
If he keeps replacing batteries until you run out of warranty, you own the problem. I'd leave it there until fixed. NOTE: Be sure that they write up a work order each time you take it back. You may need it in the future.

battery drain

We have a late model gm vehicle that had a problem with circuitry in the radio. It continued to draw power when the vehicle was parked, completely dishcharging the battery within a couple of days. Diagnosed by an auto tech friend. Replaced the radio with a salvaged unit and problem solved.

Gary,

I have a 02 Bird. In 03 I was moving and put the Bird in my nephews garage. it sat for 4 months. Started right up.

In past years I have been gone for a month at a time and the car started right up. This year I was gone for two months and it started right up.

I never locked the doors and never had the led alarm flashing. Would not think this would use that much juice anyway.

I would go back to the dealer if I were you.

05 Ford T-Bird

Got my TBird in December and love it. Only problem is when it sits for more than 8-10 days, the battery goes dead! Dealer said this is normal for any car and that it should be started every couple of days. Questions:
1) has anyone else experienced this problem? and 2) does anyone else use their TBird as a "nice weather car" and let it sit for longer than a week - with or without problems? The dealer is trying to convince me that this is not a mechanical problem and there is nothing wrong with the car, but I don't buy it. I've always had a third car that sat for long periods and they've always started right up -- until this one.

Gary

Gary
We are having the same problem with our 05. Purchased 10/05 and the vehicle was towed back to the dealer ship today for the 5th time with a dead battery. In Jan. the factory rep told us we did not drive it long enough to charge and we should keep asmall battery charger on it. Several days later they called and stated that they had found that the ground wire on the battery was not secure. We bought it and it ran fine until today when we went to start it it was dead again. this happens about every 3-4 months and the vehicle stays inside all the time. Its a great vehicle but we advised them today to start the paper work to have ford buy it back and if that does not work we will seek legal action. A person should not have to put up with type of problem. Has anyone else contacted you about the same problem?

Mike

Mike:
Good luck with that buy back. I have a friend that's going through the Lemon Law in NH and it isn't easy for him. :confused:
Even with a very well documented case and the dealership owner agreeing he has a case, there are steps that he and GM have to follow before the buy back. He's into his third month of it. Currently GM has the vehicle to attempt to fix it by their Factory Tech - All part of the process, I didn't know how involved it was.

George said: Even with a very well documented case and the dealership owner agreeing he has a case, there are steps that he and GM have to follow before the buy back. He's into his third month of it. Currently GM has the vehicle to attempt to fix it by their Factory Tech - All part of the process, I didn't know how involved it was.

"GM" as in General motors? I thought her bird was a ford! :eek: That explains all the problems! :D :D

Anezangl: Sorry for the confusion. I said a friend was going through it, but just didn't mention that it wasn't for a T-Bird. This is the first I've heard that a TBirder was taking the route.

I was just attempting to warn him that it won't be easy. I always heard that you can apply the Lemon Law and return the car after three attempts of repair by a dealer. ---- WRONG!!!
It would be too lengthy of a post to show what this individual has gone through, so our Legislatures haven't done us any favors with this particular law.

Since the lemon laws came up I thought I would share my experience. I live in South Carolina and I purchased a new 2003 Thunderbird from a local dealer. Soon after I got it the differential started making a noise. I had it back to the dealer numerous times and they replaced the rear end twice and re-built it one time with no success. Finally I said enough is enough and I sent a registered letter to Ford Motor and the dealer and told them that the S. C. lemon law applied to my situation. Actually, after that the process was fairly painless. The dealer had two remaining 2005 Birds and asked me which one I wanted. I paid the difference between the 2003 and the 2005 sticker price (approx. $1,300) and drove out with my new bird. I hope everyone enjoys their Birds this summer.

Wow, I'm impressed. I think you did very well. But there's a case where the dealer was willing to help, which was great for you. They're not all that good.

This thread is old, but seems to have many casualities with dead batteries.
My 02 has never had a dead battery. And it sits for 3 or 4 weeks with
no one touching it. It does sit in a garage. My car only has 6k on it,
and to date no problems yet.

battery

I have a 2003 tbird and it was garage kept in pa...battery died because we didnt' drive it. my husband had to by a charger and keep it on a charger in the garage...i have the car now at my apt and it died twice already...the battery always died...just had it jumped and two days later? dead...time for a new battery i guess

I think that there was a bad run of batteries at one time for a lot of TBird owners. Many were replaced by Ford.

Are you out of warranty?

By the way. After checking, Ford is the only place I know of to get a replacement. Probably due to the vent pipe ours has, for fumes

I have always had a problem with my '02 killing batteries. They even had to charge it when I picked it up from the showroom (they said someone had left the lights on). I took it back to the dealer just before the warranty ran out and as expected they told me I needed a new battery (not covered by warranty). I also coughed up the extra cash for them to run a full diagnostic which came up clean. The old battery was good for 1-2 weeks. The new one starts showing weakness after 2 weeks or so and dies at 3 or 4. I'm out of ideas- guess I'll have to go the trickle charger route.

I haven't been able to locate replacement batteries anywhere other than the dealer either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back