2002 Compact spare

• Thread starter Martin Penland Teem
  • Start date
I googled and clicked the above sites. Cannot find 185-60-17 compact spare.

After reading this post I decided to go check my spare in my 2002, it looks fine, has about 28 lbs of air. See no problem with it, should be good for years to come. I do have a portable air pump in truck, so I can add air if needed.

What makes these spares pop.

After reading this post I decided to go check my spare in my 2002, it looks fine, has about 28 lbs of air. See no problem with it, should be good for years to come. I do have a portable air pump in truck, so I can add air if needed.

What makes these spares pop.
Just like old rubber bands, the rubber starts to crack. At 60 psi the treads separate and pop. The original Firestone spare could be 16 years old. My spare was popped when I got my car a year ago. It was still holding air but the tread was pealing off. The Firestone dealer said to get the air out immediately because it can explode in the trunk. There are reports of old Maxxis tires popping now too.

For my '05 T-bird I wanted a replacement spare that is closer to the OEM regular tire size of P235/50R17 (26.25" OD and 9.25" wide on 7.5" rims) than the original Maxxis T185/60R17 temporary spare (25.74" OD and 7.28" wide on a 5" spare rim). The largest tire I found that just fit in the trunk only when mounted on the 5" spare rim is a P205/55R17 (25.88" OD and 8.07" wide, which is a bit wide for the 5" spare rim but it works without the high 60 psi required for the temporary spare). I purchased a Federal Formoza FD2 P205/55ZR17 from SimpleTire.com for about $90 shipped. It should be good for at least another 12 years.
For same reason (cost), I purchased a P205/55r17 tire to replace the 14-year-old Maxxis compact spare on my '04 Bird. Took it to local Discount Tire store for mounting on the compact spare rim (5 inches wide), the manager refused. Said my new tire is too wide to be safe on a 5-inch rim, especially considering the weight of T-bird. Is this true? Even if the spare would only be used to get somewhere for flat tire to be replaced/repaired?

That was a tempting choice. I had read the above comments about a dealer not wanting to mount that size on the original rim, and after checking with local dealers I couldn't find anyone who could tell me it would be okay. I finally gave in and ordered the original size from Maxxis. But that $60 Dunlap sure sounds better than the $175 I just spent on the Maxxis.

It may not make much of a difference since the spare should only be used temporarily, but it would be nice to hear from a tire person if this combination is acceptable or poses any serious risks.

The use of a regular 17-inch tire on the compact spare rim would have saved me money. The safety factor changed my mind. Returned the Dunlop and ordered Maxxis for 2 reasons: Dunlop was about 7 inches wide between tire beads. Putting that on a 5-inch wide rim and using it on a heavy car like Tbird is not safe, according to tire professional. Also, if I ever decided to sell my '04 Bird, potential buyers would likely be suspicious and inquire about spare not being original/correct size.
I love this forum; it has helped me in so many ways -- especially diagnosing issues, saving money, and getting views from other "Birders." Thank you all!

I just ordered that tire but.... I also ordered a wheel 17x7 so safety issue not a thing and due to fact my wheels are aftermarket and use tapered lug nuts as does the new wheel
note: the bumps on underside of trunk tire cover will need to be shaved down about 1/2 inch

Back