Coils

I sent them a question regarding manufacturer, will keep you posted when they reply;)

I appreciate the link for the Bosch coils and did you use these for your Bird? I am having the plugs replaced today as a part of general safe keeping. My bird is running fine and has 100,000 miles only one coil replaced under warranty around 40,000 miles. Ford dealer mechanic suggested doing just the plugs at first since the car is running fine. Coils through Ford $600.00 installed with plugs $900.00 was suggested as well to be preventative going forward. I have decided to just replace the plugs and see how that goes since the current coils are running fine. Hope just replacing the plugs work, but if not I will look to purchase a coil set of 8 and replace all with a new set of plugs as well. Curious about the Bosch coils in the link or other options....Thanks for your reply!

I got a set of the aftermarket coils from a seller/company on ebay in florida, three years later and they run fine, only cost $69 at the time for a full set, the motorcraft ones are made in china just like the aftermarket ones.

I also changed my plugs to bosch iridium and they run beautiful. I've worked on cars a long time (not professionally though) and have personally found bosch to run better and last longer but everyone has there own preference.

I appreciate the link for the Bosch coils and did you use these for your Bird? I am having the plugs replaced today as a part of general safe keeping. My bird is running fine and has 100,000 miles only one coil replaced under warranty around 40,000 miles. Ford dealer mechanic suggested doing just the plugs at first since the car is running fine. Coils through Ford $600.00 installed with plugs $900.00 was suggested as well to be preventative going forward. I have decided to just replace the plugs and see how that goes since the current coils are running fine. Hope just replacing the plugs work, but if not I will look to purchase a coil set of 8 and replace all with a new set of plugs as well. Curious about the Bosch coils in the link or other options....Thanks for your reply!
If you are changing the plugs yourself, I would also replace the coils at the rear of the engine while you are at it. The ones up front are easy to get at so not a problem if the front coils go bad later.
The Bosch coils have worked fine for me but the factory coils sucked.

If you are changing the plugs yourself, I would also replace the coils at the rear of the engine while you are at it. The ones up front are easy to get at so not a problem if the front coils go bad later.
The Bosch coils have worked fine for me but the factory coils sucked.

I had my service guy just do the plugs and it is running great! Appreciate the feedback on the Bosch coils and I plan to purchase them in case of a need in the near future. Have a great day!

Just received coils and plugs via internet link...Bosch Plugs are Platinum +2...Coils are marked BO44HP with AD Autoparts on the box. I have these as back up at a minimal cost of $89.99. The link was great - Thanks!

I posted a long description of what I had to do to my 2002 TBird short story is I found replacing the plugs as well as the coils all together is the best thing, I also had valve cover gaskets leaking (another popular thing with these cars, the originals are crap) so pull the plugs out and check to see if they have any oil on them, if so that's the reason its all going wrong. I put Bosch iridium plugs in and got a full set of coils off a company that sells aftermarket ones for $65 total. Over two years later and its running fine still. The coil going made it feel lacking in power slightly and a slight hiccup, also you can hear a slight popping/puffing from the exhaust as it does so.

The trunk release behind the seat is a precaution in case your battery dies as that is in there, you use the key to open it, good idea actually.

New Bird owner here - would you share the coil suppliers name and addy? Thanks, JW in Dixie

JW - Click on the word (Coils) find the thread link - check response #23 and at the top you will find the Ebay link to the coil set I purchased. Good luck! - CR

Last edited:
I replaced plugs as a first remedy at 100,000 miles. Had a couple issues and then used the above website as replacements for coils and plugs. Kept the first set of new plugs for the future. Car is running great and hope they last for awhile. Spoke with a good Ford mechanic on the replacement coils. He advised that it is hit and miss on the off brand products. Motorcraft coils are what he would have used. Yet he said for the price. He would have tried the ones I purchased via the website. Lees than 400 miles on the replacement coils and plugs. We shall see in the spring Bird is going into storage for three months to return on the road in March. Also, replaced the battery for the first time, yes the twelve year old original battery. Started to cause some issues and was amazed that is was the original. Owned this Bird since day one and never have had to change the battery. Storage inside the trunk must have something to do with the lifetime!

Batteries don't like heat and cold at the same time. If the temperature changes slowly it is better for the battery. When it is under the hood the temperature rise and fall is very extreme, it could be 20 degrees at one moment and 5 minutes later at 195 degrees and then back to 20 degrees. Plus having the battery in the trunk helps balance the car better.

Back