Check Engine light -- reads lean banks 1 & 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

STEVE'S97BIRD

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
What should I do?
The light came on while driving on an incline. The low coolant light has been on for a long time -- even though it isn't low in coolant.
The car runs fine.
Steve
yolauf@*********

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

STEVE'S97BIRD said:
What should I do?
The light came on while driving on an incline. The low coolant light has been on for a long time -- even though it isn't low in coolant.
The car runs fine.
Steve
yolauf@*********

Steve, Do you have the 4.6 V8 engine? I've sent you an email regarding this....

If your car is well maintained and everything, it might just be a dirty MAF sensor. Try checking it and see if it helps. Be careful as it is a very delicate sensor, if you are not familiar with it, ask first.
The coolant light is most likely caused by a sticky sensor. You can take it out and clean it or take the reservoir tank and flushing throughly. Which engine do you have?

Quickdraw said:

Could you perhaps post the info you sent him, or email me the same info?

I am having the same problem with a 94 Thunderbird V8.

My email is mike@walkerstop.com if you could send me the same info...

Hellbore said:

Although it may be the same engine I don't think the 1994 is covered:
Do a Google search on these four words: Ford intake manifold settlement You only have until March 16, 2006 to file a claim if it is covered.

Heres one story:
18 June 2005
Robert Lane, BlueOvalNews.com
Dearborn, Michigan. Ford has agreed to settle lawsuits filed against it due to cracking intake manifolds on certain 1996-2001 4.6L engines. The engines are found in: Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Lincoln Town Car, Mustang, Cougar and Thunderbird models. The settlement could impact over 2 million vehicles and cost Ford up to $375 million USD.

The intake manifolds Ford used were plastic and were notorious for cracking, thus causing coolant leaks.

The terms of the settlement include:

• Ford will reimburse customers with receipts for the intake repair.
• Ford will pay $735.00 to those without receipts, provided that they can verify with a dealership that a repair was made.
• Ford will extend the warranty coverage for customers whose intakes have not failed.

Ford lost an appeal earlier in the year to have the case dismissed.

Quickdraw said:

No it's a V6. Thanks for your concern. I haven't checked this site in a long time & I probably didn't recognize your e-mail & deleted it.
Steve

ocar said:
If your car is well maintained and everything, it might just be a dirty MAF sensor. Try checking it and see if it helps. Be careful as it is a very delicate sensor, if you are not familiar with it, ask first.
The coolant light is most likely caused by a sticky sensor. You can take it out and clean it or take the reservoir tank and flushing throughly. Which engine do you have?

It's a 97 V6. I took it to a Ford dealer last summer & they replaced something I didn't understand & told me not to take any long trips. The light only comes on periodically now & the engine does leak coolant. I wonder if it is a cracked manifold & perhaps covered by the manifold settlement.
Steve

V6 97 T-bird coolant leaker

Hellbore said:

I have a 97 V6 & it still leaks coolant. I got a response to my posting that said to do a google search on Ford intake manifold settlement. Apparently some manifolds are plastic & cracking, & there has been a settlement. Those who are affected are to make a claim by March 2006.

xxxx

two things i would check one being the compression if you got good compression on all cylinders then go check the oxygen sensors the reason for checking the o2 sensors is it bank 1-2 lean but you also said that the bird is leaking coolant which when my birds head went it blew the radiator this is why to check compression my bird is a 94 lx 3.8L v-6 the blue oval has had big problems with head gaskets on these cars with the 3.8 L only any ways hope this is not the problem good luck to ya rhino..........

Old question , new answer

When your check engine codes read lean both banks , they realy are lean, and the computer has run out of trim for correction. The reason in ninty-nine out of a hundred codes is : Vacuum Leak. The usual source is the thick hose out of the back of the throttle body. Sometimes the leak is huge and the engine misses , and sometimes it is small but the computer has run out of correction trim. In most cases , you won't hear anything without a tube in your ear, but you can feel the hose to judge. The other place for a vacuum leak is the short ( under 2") small diameter one attached to the charcoal canister purge solinoid. This hose sits on a shelf next to the right side exhaust manifold and is a short run with hard tube on both sides. It will triger a lean code plus a charcoal purge canister code all at the same time. This answer may be the cure you already got , but how about all you new vacuum leakers out there ?

hey

The car could have bad O2 sensors also, but it can be all kinds of different things if your car is running rich and my 97 bird the coolant light is always on and its always full so dont worry about that. Its just and idiot light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back