Center Cap Removal on 2004 7 Spoke Wheels

N

NickG

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
561058_c2b42f123fb5_low_res.jpg 561065_1a75c4a9bd13_low_res.jpg I just purchased an almost "cherry" '04 Retro-Bird with 25K miles ... and have a simple (really dumb) question. It has perfect 7 spoke chrome wheels and chromed center caps. The center cap has 2 slots for prying them off but all 4 caps are on very snug and don't seem to give much when working a screwdriver in the slots. It seems that to remove, applying more pressure will either damage the chromed plastic cap or the chrome wheel.

Am I missing something here ... is there a trick or even a special tool to remove these caps?

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There is a tool for this. Round piece of steel with a ring on one end and an 'L" on the other. Fits in hole in hubcap.

ThanksMikey52! That's good to know ... now to find that tool! Since this was the first time I've worked with pop-off center caps and know their value to replace, I was tentative and extra careful before removing.
I actually was able to pry the center caps off this weekend with a screwdriver with electrical tape on the end and using a towel. The other thing that I did was tap the screwdriver in deeper lightly tapping with a hammer and with a slight twist and they popped off easily. There was no damage so I'm happy! The tool, however, sounds like a better long term solution.

where do I find that tool?
its not in my glove box.

Would someone please post a picture of this tool? Did this come with the car new?

I think we could make 1 easy enough if we could see a pic of it.
im thinking of a good 1" steel paint scraper. grind down width and little vise work.
I will have 2 wheels off this week end one way or another, the slam bag company wants a pic before they verify .
OR anybody have a front and rear pics of suspension, struts on, wheel off, static? nothing in factory manual that I can find for them.
id appreciate it.
thanks
don 03
paigendon@roadrunner.com

mikey52 pic or dimensions?

ok here it is
this worked for me
1/4 screwdriver in slot. gently pry cap lose. and same time now,
pocket screwdriver into center of slot and pry gently, pop it off,
the wheel has fancy indentions, 1 for cap alignment and 1 for cap removal
be GENTLE, the caps are like $160 EA
wheels aprox. $ 800 ea
and now for suspension pics for air bag co.
on sale 2 more weeks.
"slam be darn" possible for license frame?
anyone have a lowered bird? or pics? the bags will be cool. they'll bring the bird up to optimum height and beyond from slammed.
I lowered my 016 f150, 2' f, 4' r. then had to add bags for driveway.
(100% compliments)

Last edited:
Would this work?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190405-071553.png
    Screenshot_20190405-071553.png
    322.2 KB · Views: 1
no won't work
lowering- changed directions again, back to the springs and struts.
bags would cost $4000 springs and struts $500
caps- "1/4 screwdriver in slot. gently pry cap lose. and same time now,
pocket screwdriver into center of slot and pry gently, pop it off,
the wheel has fancy indentions, 1 for cap alignment and 1 for cap removal
be GENTLE, the caps are like $160 EA
wheels aprox. $ 800 ea"

Why not use the tool provided. It is on the end of the lug wrench in the trunk with the spare. If you are concerned about scratches then wrap it with electrical tape or purchase liquid electrical insulator and coat it.

Back