Better sounding exhaust

W

wthigpen

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have an 05. Would like it to sound more like a sports car. Lower, throatier tone. But, I still want to carry on a conversation at hi way speeds. Don't want to spend the big bucks for a Borla system. Exhaust shop gave me several options. Remove resonators from under the cab and replace with straight pipe.. Remove rear mufflers and replace with straight pipe. Replace rear mufflers with magna flow or flow master mufflers. Open to suggestions......Thanks.

I had Magnaflow 6 inch round 14 inch long put on. New tail pipe was welded on just after the rear axle and have stainless trumpet tips. They look as good or better than stock and have a nice rumble when you step on it but are fairly quiet otherwise. I had quality shop do the work and it cost around $450.

Ended up putting Magnaflow 11124 mufflers on rear. Left front resonators on and used original Crome tips. Sounds great when you put your foot into it, yet, quiet when cruising down the highway.

This sounds good, I would like to do this to my 2004.

I just ordered the Borla cat-back system. Guess it's got to be made, since order says it's not going to ship til August.
Maybe they'll surprise me and get it sooner. All I found are at the same price, right under $900.00. I found a coupon code for the place I ordered it from, saved me $50.00. Free shipping, no tax. Will keep you all posted ;)

Looking to see if anyone's got one in stock. Found a couple places that ads say they do, one place claims to have 10. Will find out tomorrow.

I cancelled my first order, the one that was going to ship in August. Lots of places have ads for the Borla, but when they check, the story changes. Finally ordered direct from Amazon, shipping out of Nevada. Currently in CO. on it's way. Arriving at my house in FL. Tuesday. There are 2 good videos on You Tube and on Saabkyle04 .LLC site about the install. He has a Face Book page too.

UPS tracking says the Borla has arrived at the nearby carrier center in Longwood and as of 4:29am, out for delivery.
Looking forward!

Borja arrived today! Looking for Thursday install ;)

Got the Borla installed today. $140.00. It was easy peasy. Sounds good, still kinda quiet. We'll see what it's like when the packing gets "seasoned".

Hindsight being 20/20, here's what I would do if I had it to do over again. I'd leave the stock front mufflers as they are. I'd take off the rear mufflers and have the muffler shop install new pipe in their place, with either the stock tips or maybe some a little larger. The Borla tips are a nice size. No rear mufflers at all. I think that would give exactly the sound I'm looking for. The Borla is still too quiet for my tastes. Perhaps that'll change as the packing beds in.
We shall see ;)

Hindsight being 20/20, here's what I would do if I had it to do over again. I'd leave the stock front mufflers as they are. I'd take off the rear mufflers and have the muffler shop install new pipe in their place, with either the stock tips or maybe some a little larger. The Borla tips are a nice size. No rear mufflers at all. I think that would give exactly the sound I'm looking for. The Borla is still too quiet for my tastes. Perhaps that'll change as the packing beds in.
We shall see ;)
Hi Motogeezer..
Wondering if your Borla exhaust sounds any different after breaking it in? Also I read that the Borla kit has to modified at the resonator to fit the 2005 T-bird. Did your shop say anything about that and did it create a problem?
Thanks

Hi Hsmolin,
The Borla is still too quiet for my taste. It got minimally better sounding after a couple thou miles, but nothing to write home about. I don't know about the '05 requiring mods at the resonator. perhaps a comparison look at the parts fiche might give a clue, but why not email them and ask? They're super savvy and helpful. The Borla resonator combines both banks of the exhaust where with the stock system they are separated, which I think would be a little more raspy sounding. I'm still sticking with my recommendation ;)

Motogeezer -
Thanks, I plan to give Borla a call and ask them about the mods for the 05.
Did you notice an increase in HP after the Borla was installed?

Back