any ideas about this transmission/

mtippins123

mtippins123

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
1985 v6 tbird....the sales brochure says 2 autos offered an AOD and a SelectShift automatic with locking torque converter. i know its not an AOD, so what the hell is this selectshift trans? not much info out there on it. any ideas? the only thing i have seen/heard is that its a c3 or an fmx. and are they good for v8 application.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

1985 v6 tbird....the sales brochure says 2 autos offered an AOD and a SelectShift automatic with locking torque converter. i know its not an AOD, so what the hell is this selectshift trans? not much info out there on it. any ideas? the only thing i have seen/heard is that its a c3 or an fmx. and are they good for v8 application.
if its either (and im sorry i cant ID it for you) C3 or an FMX, they are both junk basically. no HD parts, no performance application, nothing. they work great if all your gonna do is "Drive it"

if its either (and im sorry i cant ID it for you) C3 or an FMX, they are both junk basically. no HD parts, no performance application, nothing. they work great if all your gonna do is "Drive it"

It is a C5 which is a centrifugal lock up torque converter version of the C4. They were used from 82-86 as the base automatic in Ford cars. Originally they specified type H ATF, but that was later superceded by Mercon ATF.

I have to agree it sounds like it is a C4 with a lock-up convertor, I had one in a 1982 6 cylinder Fairmont and replaced it with a 351 Cleveland and an AOD from a Police Cruiser. Great sleeper.

Back