A/C Recharge Port for '04

J

jlfll

Last seen
After all this time, the a/c is getting weak on my '04. It's never had a recharge. I'd like to do this myself, but I can't find the port. Anybody know where that is? I can find the port on my '94 no problem, but the '04 is another story.

MODERATOR NOTE- 2017
See below. You can buy Ac Pro 134a refrigerant here which helps seal leaks

Moderator Note 2020- See this new thread for A/C Troubleshooting- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...ne-side-2002-2003-2004-2005-thunderbird.9446/

If you want to DIY check out this R134a R12 R22 R502 AC A/C Manifold Gauge Set 5FT Colored Hose Air Conditioning

830_05d9bfd72317b4169dbe5a23f659a805.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Recharge port

I have a 2003. Port is hidden under left front above tire. I had it done at Ford since I had a leaky tubing. Not for the casual recharger. Need to take a cover off of it according to mechanic. I think it is so you can pay them to do it. My repair was about $400

:eek:Thanks for the reply! I still haven't found it. I don't think anything is leaking, though. My Ford dealer (Sawgrass Ford, Sunrise, FL) is so unreliable that I may have to take it somewhere else. Thanks again!

AC low side Port Found

Under My (Wife's) 2004 on the driver side there is a plastic cover below the compressor.
Put the car up on Ramps or Jack Stands.
Remove the cover.
The port is on the compressor where the hoses attach.
Look for the standard black cap.

AC low side Port Found

Under My (Wife's) 2004 on the driver side there is a plastic cover under the compressor.
Put the car up on Ramps or Jack Stands.
Remove the cover.
The port is on the compressor where the hoses attach.
Look for the standard black cap.

No Pics

I thought I had uploaded Pics but I obviously haven't figgured out attachmrnts.:confused:

A/C recharge...

I have found that the Lincoln dealer is really reliable. They seem to know more than the Ford dealer when it comes to T'birds.
Jim

I saw a video on this concerning a Lincoln LS. It must be the same place on the TBird

It is in the same location, just turn the front wheels to the hard left, then you can get to the
black plastic shroud, move it and reach the low pressure port. Remove black plastic cap, and
attach recharge hose and add 134a. Most likely your main shaft seal on the compressor is going
bad due to age, and soon you will have to replace compressor, not hard, nor costly.

Just had my 04 fluid pumped out, vacuumed and refilled with fresh 134A per factory specs by my shade tree mech. $40.
Just did a 450 mi trip in 93 deg - ice cubes! How sweet it is. :)

It is in the same location, just turn the front wheels to the hard left, then you can get to the
black plastic shroud, move it and reach the low pressure port. Remove black plastic cap, and
attach recharge hose and add 134a. Most likely your main shaft seal on the compressor is going
bad due to age, and soon you will have to replace compressor, not hard, nor costly.
Well I found the port and with a gauge it was in the green zone. I tried putting more fluid in but it didn’t take any. Ran it today and it is still not cold enough to drive with the windows up.

It is well hidden. When you do find it, the fitting on your nozzle barely fits in the area of the filler fitting. Lots of fun for sure...definitely need front driver side tire off. Also helps jacking up car far enough for a tripod stand

Our Tbird no longer blows cold and used to freeze you out. So I bought the kit to recharge it but when I hook it to the low side the pressure is already in the red. How do I proceed? Do I bleed the system and then refill or what?

Our Tbird no longer blows cold and used to freeze you out. So I bought the kit to recharge it but when I hook it to the low side the pressure is already in the red. How do I proceed? Do I bleed the system and then refill or what?
Air Conditioning is a closed system and doesn't require "recharging" unless there is a leak or underlying problem. Strongly suggest finding where your refrigerant leaked out.

Back 2017 I had a problem on a FL trip in my 2005 that my local AC guy &fellow Elks member could not resolve. He sent me to the oldest and best radiator shop.
When I went there his son was running the shop and his Mom had a retro TBird. He found a bad valve under the car and had to order the part from Ford. Car had 87k then and it is still blowing cold air now with 102k now.

Back