Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JamesWomble

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello,
My brother has a 1997 Thunderbird. He has been having trouble with it starting up. I'm his tech at the moment b/c he can't afford to put it in the shop. Our Ford Dealer is rather expensive and the mom and pop shops don't have good reputations for diagnosing such a problem.

I've researched on this issue. The problem is it is intermediately starting. You turn the key, the fan comes on (which it shouldn't) and it doesn't start. He basically has to turn the key back and forth and hope the check engine light blinks (which tells him the fan isn't running and the fuel pump comes on) before it will start.
He just did his own research and bought me parts to install. So far I have replaced the CCRM, and the ignition switch.
Really I'm wondering if this is a common problem or a problem someone has encountered before. At this point I'm assuming a wiring problem or a possible ECM/PCM problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
James

Try resetting the computer. This may not fix it, but it's worth a try. To do this, disconnect the battery then turn on the headlights momentarily (or let it sit for a few minutes - 20?). This should drain any residual power. Reconnect the battery, and the computer should reset. Try starting the car. Hopefully, this fixes the weird starting symptoms. If that doesn't work, you may need a new computer, but I'm no expert on that, so don't take my word for it. FYI, you can get a computer from eBay or Flagship One www.fs1inc.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back