90 AOD In 92 Bird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last seen
My auto tranny in my 1992 Thunderbird lx with the 5.0 is toasted, I found a guy selling his auto transmission out of a 1990 Mustang GT on craigslist near me, Will swapping them out work? If not, why?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

It should bolt right up no problem. The only thing to be aware of is that it is a used tranny...your first one went, this may go fast. You're 5.0 doesn't have quite as much torque as a SC at low rpm, but enough. You should check to make sure that it has at least the B servo...A servo was for the SC. Also, to prolong the life of your tranny you may want to consider a shift kit of one kind or another as well as a auxilary tranny cooler. The shift kit can be a Trans-go (I've got one in my SC right now) as it is very good up to about 225 rwhp. If you have modified your 'Bird at all, you might want to consider a Lentech valve body, stage 1 or 2 depending on level of mods. The Lentech is the way to go even for a stock car to keep the tranny alive longest, but is more expensive. I've got one of these ready to go in my SC this winter/spring. As for the cooler, you want to get a stacked plate cooler I think it's called. You want to stay away from the tube and fin variety. Then the only other thing is to make sure that your TV cable is adjusted properly. There was a recall a few years back on the plastic grommet that held the TV cable to the throttle body. The fix is about $7-$10 depending on dealership and is now a brass grommet. It's definitely worth the money there. Hope this helps.

Thanks alot, id love to put money into it, but im just looking for a cheap fix so i can drive it until I leave for boot camp on june 16th. an the tranny has 50k on it, so i figure it will last me long enough.

That's cool...remember too though that a little money now can save a lot later....A cooler is a must on any AOD...those range from about $30-$60 depending on size. Flexible tranny line is just a couple bucks...like I stated, the grommet is only $7-$10...this is a MUST. If your TV cable comes off the throttle body, it WILL fry your tranny in as little as 1 mile...cruising at highway speed you would never knew it happened until your tranny fried...believe me, I've been there. A shift kit is not a must, especially now.

Good luck in boot camp...Marines I assume? (since you refer to it as boot camp). I'm Army...been that way for 11 years now...it's a pretty decent life.

Alright, yeah I checked earlier and that grommet is barely staying on there, but I talked to a dealership and they have discontinued the part... are there any aftermarket fixes, and can you recommend a place to buy the cooler and flex line?

Any parts store will have the cooler and hose...just don't get the tube and fin cooler...it's not as efficient...and general rule of thumb is to get the biggest you can...so that means a 27k cooler or so...

If Ford has discontinued the part, I'm not sure where to get it from...I got mine from Ford just a couple years ago. See if you can get a part number for it...I'll do the same. Those parts will be listed in their database and can be searched nationwide for availability. Sounds like the parts guys didn't want to do it because it was such a small item.

Let me know what you find.

well I talked to a guy at elk grove ford, the part number for it is
F3SZ-7H303-B, although im going to try senator ford or anyone else that seems competent, and when you say anyone should have the trans cooler, whose anyone, anyone like kragen, or anyone like Tognotti's or something?

Any Ford dealer should be able to do a search to see if there are any more out there... As long as they want to help you.

As for the cooler, you can go to any parts store. Some examples around here are Car Quest, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, etc. I'm not familiar with the stores you listed, but I know there are different parts stores in different parts of the country...so whatever you've got there.

The cooler should come with a little bit of flex hose too...check to make sure. I bypassed my stock cooler in the radiator because it is worthless to begin with. I simply used a small pipe cutter to cut the hard lines from the tranny, then used hose clamps to put the flex line on. Be sure to get some good hose clamps, as that runs under pressure and tends to leak. I've got that issue myself right now and will fix it when I install my valve body.

My auto tranny in my 1992 Thunderbird lx with the 5.0 is toasted, I found a guy selling his auto transmission out of a 1990 Mustang GT on craigslist near me, Will swapping them out work? If not, why?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Yes it will

Yes it will I am print one I'm my Sci was told by to reputable guys that this will work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back